How 'tough' are iPad's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by berthenderson, Sep 16, 2012.

1. berthenderson, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

berthenderson macrumors member

I asked a similar question like this regarding the MacBook Pro. When transporting my MacBook around the house, I sometimes put my iPad and external HDD on it and use it as a sort of tray, and I asked whether I can do that or if they're 'too heavy' and could press down on the screen. Apparently it can't.

I'm now wondering about the iPad, because, when my iPad is on my office desk, in a case, I often leave my HDD resting on top of the iPad.

Again, is that okay for me to do that, or could that press down on the screen and cause the device to not function correctly?

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's probably okay if the weight is spread across, but I'd definitely not risk it. It's quite possible it could damage it.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Resting stuff is not issue at all. From what you have described you could rest 5x as much on them and they will be fine.

With MBP or Ipads your only issue is sudden impact, aluminum and glass do not like that ;) resting stuff is not issue at all.

Your worst case scenario is getting scratches.

Just dont drop them.

4. mantan macrumors 68000

Yep, dropping is the worst. Accidentally dropped my wife's iPad off the kitchen table. And it caught a metal a magazine rack on the way down. Put a dent PERFECTLY on the volume rocker button. Not only could you not change the volume - the volume icon was stuck on the screen.

The kicker was it was in a case when it happened.

Had to drop $250 to get it replaced.

5. berthenderson thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay cool, thanks. I just kept imagining that the pressure of the external HDD would be 'too much' for the iPad. Suppose I should stop thinking of the iPad (and MBP) as a delicate object, then!

6. Fruit Cake, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

They're not very strong. The iPad 1 is built like a brick shithouse (very strong) but after that they became more prone to damage.

7. Codepiink macrumors regular

When i had my iPad 2 i dropped it right on the corner and it hit my hard wood floor. My iPad was fine, but there was a dent in my floor. Needless to say i had a mini heart attack and promptly added Apple Care just in case. But I think your iPad would be fine if the weight placed on it was evenly distributed just as another person above mentioned.

8. berthenderson thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so how about an iPad on top of an iPad? I didn't do this, but my dad had his iPad on charge, on top of my iPad. My iPad was still in the case, though.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I stack iPads on top of each other all the time. I also sometimes use my iPad to raise the back of my MacBook. It's also ended up buried under a pile of books from time to time. Steady horizontal pressure from objects on top of an iPad isn't likely to affect it, as long as the weight is spread evenly. I wouldn't put an iMac on top of an iPad, but the weight of something like a MacBook isn't going to affect an iPad, much less another iPad.

10. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I'm guilty of using my iPad as a tray for a few light things. The only major concern is dropping it. As someone pointed out earlier, the original iPad was a tank when compared to the new models. My cat kicked my iPad 2 off my kitchen table and that put a nice dent in the corner. I was pretty darn lucky my screen didn't shatter from that one.

As far as weight goes, just use common sense. If you don't think it's safe, don't do it.

11. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

I use my iPad 1 for stripping wallpaper. No problems so far... ;)

12. berthenderson thread starter macrumors member

So, the fact it was charging on top of my iPad wouldn't have made a difference?

13. stuaz macrumors 6502

Not sure if this thread is serious or not, but...

They are sturdy things...just use them - putting one on top of each other isn't going to cause a problem! Unless one is on fire....but thats a whole different question.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I do that all the time -- my partner and I each have iPads, and we just plug them in and stack them on top of each other on the bedside table.