How 'tough' are Macbook Pro's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by berthenderson, Sep 7, 2012.

1. berthenderson macrumors member

I often carry my MacBook, with my iPad, mouse, external hard drive etc on top of it.

Am I okay to do this, or could the weight cause damage to the screen? Or is the metal casing strong?

Also, carrying it in a bag, what is the best way to keep it protected?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use a booq Vyper, which is the best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve. In my opinion, it offers far better protection than any neoprene case, the zippers never come into contact with your MBP, and it looks great!
    [​IMG]
    You can put the MBP in the sleeve in a bag and not worry about other things scratching or denting it.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's "strong." I mean it feels secure and tight - no lose parts or anything. It feels solid as well.

You can't drop it off of a building (well you could and it may still work afterwards) but I have accidentally hit my MBP on tables or corners before and it doesn't have any visible dents or anything. It's sturdy enough to take some hits - within reason of course.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do something like GGJstudios recommends and/or get a decent laptop bag and treat your MBP with care. I wouldn't exactly use the word "tough" to describe a MBP relative to the Panasonic Toughbook's I use at work. Those are *tough* and take quite a beating in our patrol cars. A MBP wouldn't survive a week in a car like that.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Someone once told me it makes your MBP yellow and gives it a ‘stink’. I’m sure you can find this review somewhere on Amazon. Anyhow, is this true? I’d rather take your word than some random joe-shmoe on Amazon.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true at all. I've been using one for over 4 years. Zero problems. My MBP still looks new... and it smells nice, too! :D

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Tough enough i have travelled extensively and use Apple`s 15" MBP in some of the most extreme environments on offer and never had a problem;

Sub Tropics, Shekou
    Western China Korla (Taklamakan Desert)
    North East China Tianjin
    Middle East Doha
    Tropics up country Malaysia

FWIW it`s two - three years in each location :eek:

8. berthenderson thread starter macrumors member

Wow that sleeve looks great! Going to have to invest in that I think.

So I'm still okay to carry my iPad etc. on top of my MacBook - out of the sleeve - with no problems then? I wasn't sure because I imagined the weight would press down on to the screen, you see.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like that particular model bas been discontinued by booq.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's strong in that for the most part everything is secured to a single block of aluminum; it likely wont break into a bunch of small pieces if you were to drop it. However, the aluminum is also fairly soft. Minor impacts will scratch and dent the aluminum. But not to the extent that anything fails - it'll just look well used after a while (unless you use it with a case).

Of course the LCD is also always a weak point - that's the one area I would be worried about in the event of a fall.

11. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

For me, working in hot humid conditions, occasionally driving around in a jeep over bumpy roads, and being a frequent flyer, I prefer a pelican 1090 for my 15" (they have a 1080 for a 13")

Although it may actually damage any other items in your bag :eek:

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad I got mine when I did! I'll have to see if they have something new that's as good.

13. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Not tough. Drop it 3 feet and the LCD cracks. Drop it 5 feet, and the whole thing dies.

The Air? Drop it from the moving car, still lives.

14. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Droped mine from 128 feet and nothing happened... its like new

15. berthenderson thread starter macrumors member

So, I can still carry my ipad on my macbook then??

16. stuaz macrumors 6502

iPad's aren't that heavy.... :confused:

17. Purant macrumors 6502

I have a 2006 first gen Macbook Pro. I've been travelling a lot with it. I only have a cisco bag that was free from a conference I attended. I also put external HDDs, mouse, a tablet and the charger in the same bag.

I did some repairs on it in the first year (I think they replaced the logic board) because mine had the macbook pro "whine" (remember that?). I also changed the battery once. The new one broke way too soon (in like 6 months?). Now it works without being plugged in for only 10 minutes or so :p

But other than that, I am pretty happy with it. It proved to be solidly built and I wasn't really being that careful with it, although I haven't really dropped it ever, either.

18. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Put it together with a MacBook Pro and with that weight, you can have a workout. Those things are heavy when you're bringing two of them. And noisy too. The two aluminums scratching each other will really be painful to hear.

19. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

It's tougher than most of those plastic laptops out there!

20. stuaz macrumors 6502

I don't really treat a Macbook differently to that of a Windows HP laptop or something. Walking around with a book or a mouse or an ipad on top of it won't push through to the screen.