How tough is it to replace the DVD drive?

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
The last time I used the DVD drive, my four-year-old MacBook started vibrating like crazy before spitting out the DVD. Everything else is working just dandy: battery life is still good great, it never crashes on me (knock on wood), starts up nice 'n' quick and it has managed to survive faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more abuse than my old Dell laptop ever did (the friggin' CAT managed to remove keys from the thing when she'd walk across the keyboard!).

Is it fairly simple to install a new DVD drive, or would I be better off getting an external drive? Buying a new computer is not an option.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
If you don't mind digging around inside a little bit, and you're able to keep track of around a kajillion screws, it's not really bad at all. See this guide for step-by-step directions to see if it's something you feel up to doing.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Optical-Drive-Replacement/518/1
Thanks for the link, MultiFinder. I have an aluminum unibody--should I anticipate any differences between it and the white body shown in the guide?

ETA: Well, I've been wanting to replace the metal case (it's badly dented from taking one too many spills off of the couch), so I guess I may as well take care of the DVD at the same time. Either that or save my money for a MBA and allow the MacBook to die a natural, dignified death.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68020
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Thanks for the link, MultiFinder. I have an aluminum unibody--should I anticipate any differences between it and the white body shown in the guide?

ETA: Well, I've been wanting to replace the metal case (it's badly dented from taking one too many spills off of the couch), so I guess I may as well take care of the DVD at the same time. Either that or save my money for a MBA and allow the MacBook to die a natural, dignified death.
Ah, gotcha, then go here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Unibody_Model_A1278

iFixit also sells all kinds of parts if you want to replace anything.

flir67

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2005
get a nice set of tiny screw drivers and your set to go, like a eyeglass screwdrivers and ifixit pictures.. a sheet of paper and some transparent tape.

just label each step with a box for screw in it and tape it.. takes about 10 minutes..simple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.