How tough is it to replace the DVD drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stickybuns, Nov 15, 2011.

1. stickybuns macrumors 6502

The last time I used the DVD drive, my four-year-old MacBook started vibrating like crazy before spitting out the DVD. Everything else is working just dandy: battery life is still good great, it never crashes on me (knock on wood), starts up nice 'n' quick and it has managed to survive faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more abuse than my old Dell laptop ever did (the friggin' CAT managed to remove keys from the thing when she'd walk across the keyboard!).

Is it fairly simple to install a new DVD drive, or would I be better off getting an external drive? Buying a new computer is not an option.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

3. stickybuns thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link, MultiFinder. I have an aluminum unibody--should I anticipate any differences between it and the white body shown in the guide?

ETA: Well, I've been wanting to replace the metal case (it's badly dented from taking one too many spills off of the couch), so I guess I may as well take care of the DVD at the same time. Either that or save my money for a MBA and allow the MacBook to die a natural, dignified death.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Ah, gotcha, then go here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Unibody_Model_A1278

iFixit also sells all kinds of parts if you want to replace anything.

5. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

its not too tough, if you are semi handy you'll be fine

6. flir67 macrumors 6502

get a nice set of tiny screw drivers and your set to go, like a eyeglass screwdrivers and ifixit pictures.. a sheet of paper and some transparent tape.

just label each step with a box for screw in it and tape it.. takes about 10 minutes..simple