How tough is the iphone screen really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steveo47, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Steveo47 macrumors regular

So how strong is it? is it the same glass that is on the back? ive seen people rub keys on the screen of previous iphones with no damage, the same for the iphone? Im wondering because im getting a SGP screen protector... if it ever ships. But till then i have nothing.

2. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

try dropping it on concrete floor, youl know for sure that way

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its harder than the 3GS' screen. I think you can figure out how to be careful with your phone until the protector comes.

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

This.

5. pdhahn macrumors member

I've been carrying mine around without a screen protector for a couple weeks now and so far it's still perfect. Then again I keep it in a pocket by itself and I've been very careful with it

6. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

im not even keeping it in my pocket, im keeping it in a leather holster will i can get that screen protector.

7. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I did this the other day from about 3 ft. and it landed on the back. One little scratch in the back glass was all that happened. Now that I have the bumper on I think it could survive a few drops like this. I fully expected the back to be shattered when I picked it up but it's fine.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

I also thought this until I dropped my iPhone about 3 feet up onto the concrete drive way and shattered the back glass WHILE it had the bumper on. I took the bumper back. It looks nice, but I don't trust it for front or back protection.

9. dr2323 macrumors member

I used it as a baseball the other day in a game. The aluminum bat broke when someone made contact with.....:eek:

10. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Not

Not tough at all.
    I've had mine since July 12 and it already has a scratch right in the middle of the screen. I BABY my iPhone. My wife makes fun of me how I handle it. I keep it in my pocket with nothing else. I have no clue how it got there. A grain of sand maybe? I can't stress how much I baby it. I don't even set it down without resting it on the little black cloth my 3G came with. I am crazy careful. I am just sick over it. I understand I take some risk going naked, but this is ridiculous beyond explanation.
    I love it in every other way though.

11. WilliamG macrumors 604

Agreed. I scratched it with my fingernails a few weeks ago. It's the first iPhone I've ever scratched on the screen.

12. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I don't think it's as tough as some would say it is. If you drop it, and it lands a certain way, the screen will smash, like the one in the pictures in this link: http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=59

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

lol