How transfer iCal, Address Book data to Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rot@ti.org, Oct 15, 2009.

1. rot@ti.org macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard, but the computer has some hardware problems and I need to send it in for repair (it won't wake up or boot). It is entirely backed up with Time Machine, and I would like to transfer the calendar and contact data from it to my PowerBook that is running OS X 10.4.

I managed to export an icbu file (iCal) and abbu (Address Book) file from the MBP, but when I try to add them to the PB's iCal and Address Book, I get an error message. The raw data in the Library folder seem to be in a different format as well. Is there any other way to transfer the data?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

For iCal, try Export -> Export, which should make a more generic .ics file (instead of the .icbu file, which I guess stands for ical backup, which makes some sense that an older version can't read it).

For Address Book, select them all and try Export -> Export. I think that creates a file for every contact, but it's in the generic format that the old version should be able to read.

Or sign up for a free 60-day trial of MobileMe and let it sync it between your computers. I think it'll work with 10.4, but not totally sure.

3. rot@ti.org thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that if I can get the MBP to wake up. If I can't, are there any ways to convert the backed-up files to Tiger-level formats?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Crap, I missed the part about the MBP not booting. So much for reading comprehension. :eek:

Do you have any friends or family with newer Macs that you could use to load the newer files and export in the more generic ones?