How transfer Windows 7 to Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 88 King, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Hi all,

I’d like some help on transfer my current Windows 7 (80GB) to Bootcamp partition please?

I’m familiar with OSX and Bootcamp as I have had couple of mac laptops, but this is the 1st time I’m use a mac as my main PC. And I’ve not figured out how to do this due to hardware and driver differences.

I’ve backed up the documents I need, but would rather not reinstall all the programmes and settings again.

Still have a week to wait before the imac arrive, so might as do something constructive.

Thanks

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't think this will work with BootCamp, but if you can get my with a virtual machine, Parallels Transporter might help you.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if your windows7 was installed on a pc you cant just copy the windows hdd into a bootcamp partition on a Mac , like you cant just take a harddrive with windows out of one pc and put it in another totally different pc without reinstalling windows7 because windows wants to be registered activated and knows where it was and if it finds itself somewhere where it did not belong it gets angry and upset

that only works with OSX in windows you need a clean install , so take your disc's and install following the instructions here

http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/15/using-boot-camp-to-install-windows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/

but you can in most cases copy the program settings if you know where they are stored , like you can copy certain registry entries