How ~transparent~ is Bootcamp in Native Mode

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chefwong, Feb 25, 2011.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

MBP Air running Win 7x64.
    Works fine until 2-18+ windows critical updates.
    Installing them and then reboot- crashes the box.
    To the point where recovery mode/restore mode DOES not work.
    In order to bring the box back, one must boot off cd ...

Been playing around with this for a couple hours now.
    Get the OS back runnning, run critical updates -- and deduced it down to that.
    Whenever it get's applied, it breaks the box...and system restore won't restore to snapshot of restore point in time when IT SHOULD and bring the system back flawlessly.

So it all points back to bootcamp and whatever interaction is happening between Bootcamp and Windows

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Bootcamp is just a partitioner.

It's as transparent as owning a Dell and dual booting ubuntu and 7.

3. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

I can't explain it other than per my OP post...
    Never seen it to the point where even a *system restore* to a snapshot will not even restore the OS.

Took 2 hrs to duplicate and deduce it down to windows updates killing it....but have not seen the same symptoms on a non MBP show similar symptoms..

4. nufanec, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

nufanec macrumors regular

I've never seen a Windows update cause ANY problems :rolleyes:

Bootcamp partitions the drive. From there on in Windows runs the show - Apple just provides the venue. There are the bootcamp drivers for keyboard, trackpad and other interfaces, but that's it. They could cause a problem, but I doubt it in this case. When you're restoring are you doing a complete erase and reinstall. Might be worth a try and see if it works without any other stuff installed.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

It has nothing to do with bootcamp partitioning. Likely it's an update that is causing a problem. Since apple doesn't actually support windows, they don't provide any support with any of the patches or drivers that get updated as a result of windows update.

The best thing you can do is disable windows update and just install the service packs. That way other people will report incompatibilities rather than trying to pinpoint it to any single update.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:eek: Seems a bit drastic given that many updates between Service Packs are critical security issues.

Another tip is to make sure Apple's software is fully up to date before applying the Windows Update patches. use Apple Software Update until it is happy then try Windows Update.

B

7. klaze macrumors member

I was never able to do a system restore on my boot camp.

8. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

Jut so we're clear - 2-18 was not the # of critical updates but the date of critical updates post 2-18 post WSUS. mcAfee virus signature may break a windows box if not server.......but again, updates like this I have NEVER seen where it makes the box unbootable on the OS...not even in safe mode, or the funky *why won't it go back to the snapshot I just created to A/B if it does go to a restore point*.

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

Windows 7 is pretty darn secure. It's pretty hard to get a virus unless you download a lot of illegal movies and software. That being said, an antivirus and anti-spyware should be kept to up date.

I found windows updates have messed up my computer a number of times, but never found not updating windows update messes up a computer.