How ugly is the upgrade going to be tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cmiller4642, Jun 29, 2015.

1. cmiller4642 macrumors member

I really want to get Apple Music started ASAP. I see a lot of people complaining about iOS updates bricking their phones and things like that on day one and the loading times being atrocious. I got 8.3 on day one and it took a bit (like 20 minutes) and it didn't screw up my phone at all.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've been using the 8.4 betas for some time and they seem very stable (for my particular usage). I have no hesitation with recommending an upgrade tomorrow, which is the first time I've been able to say that in a while!

3. cmiller4642 thread starter macrumors member

Probably a 3 hour download right? I need to get Apple Music live before 5:30pm EST

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't say; they're typically released in the middle of the night here so any overloading issues are usually resolved by the time I'm awake.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I think a lot of people will hit the servers but not as many as we might think hanging around here. I've talked about Apple Music and found few people interested like I am. It may be just me but I think it will go ok tomorrow. I am on the beta already so maybe I can get Beats 1 right away and the rest of the service later in the day. I won't be near wifi at launch.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I'm sure most people don't even know there will be a 8.4 update tomorrow and even more people probably don't even know there is Apple Music launching either.

As far as any "danger" of updating right away. I've been on 8.4 the whole time it's been in public beta. On my only iPhone, so obviously using it daily. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. It runs just like 8.3 but with a redesigned music app.

7. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

It's going to be quite beautiful as they updated the Music interface ;)

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It is. I love how background and text take on the album art colour while viewing albums. It's nice to not have white all the time and it's nice that it's different with each album. Very pleasing to look at and makes me want a system wide dark mode even more. (Or possibly using my that same method of pulling colours into apps. Maybe like the system pulls colours from your wallpaper image to use system wide.)

9. dawson865 macrumors newbie

Was going to say "Well its still iOS 8 - so very, very ugly."

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Probably not as ugly as the day they released MobileMe, iPhone OS 2.0, and the iPhone 3G all at the same time. :eek:

11. bushido Suspended

bushido

they should have launched it on different time zones

12. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I honestly thought 8.4 would be released yesterday, but here we are on June 30th and it's still not available. Maybe it's Apple's way of making sure their new Beats 1 doesn't get hammered to death at launch.

I'm curious though, if we're on 8.4 beta, is it imperative that we update? It kind of seems to work so far.

13. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

It is highly irregular for Apple releases to occur outside of Wednesdays, let alone the typical 10am Pacific time. A lot of people will be caught off guard; outside of us, that is.

14. oscsjc macrumors member

oscsjc

15. Nozuka macrumors 65816

sadly it was in alot of newspapers today, since the exact day and time of release is known. wouldn't be surprised if the traffic is too high for a seamless start.

16. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Apple have really made it tough on us. Leaving it to the very last second. I suppose it was the only way they could do it though.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Plenty of releases have happened on Tuesdays or Mondays or Thursdays as I recall, so that part of it isn't all that irregular. Much fewer of them have happened much outside the 10 AM timeframe, so that's somewhat closer to irregular.

18. noobinator macrumors 601

is the official 8.4 release going to be the same as the latest 8.4 beta for developers? I'm on the latest 8.4 for developers, do I keep this or?

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nothing about that has been said. More than likely it won't be, but no way to know for sure until it's out and to compare the build numbers essentially.

20. Phillyfinest89 macrumors member

Should be different. I think some things have change since beta 4.

21. cmiller4642 thread starter macrumors member

Update: downloaded and installed in like 10 minutes not too bad

22. Phillyfinest89 macrumors member

Was fast and now I'm listening to some tunes.

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Yeah, Apple did a really good job with this update- both the distribution and quality of the update itself. It's hard to believe the 8.0.1 disaster was less than a year ago!

24. saldawop macrumors regular

My phone is constantly searching for the update,but never seems to find it

25. Phillyfinest89 macrumors member

Try restarting?