How unlucky? Back to Apple store tomorrow.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by socaltyger, Mar 25, 2012.

1. socaltyger macrumors newbie

Short story: My second "new iPad 3" has a good screen but no audio. :confused: Heading to Apple store tomorrow... again.

Long story:
    I pre-ordered a 16GB Black Verizon ipad3 (screen was perfect) but soon realized 16GB was no longer enough as the new apps/games/photos/videos started to fill up the precious 16GB of storage space very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm a content streamer, not a content loader so 16GB was enough with my older iPad1 and iPad2.

Anyhow, I decided to exchange the 16GB for a 32GB. Since both my ipad1 and ipad2 had perfect screens, I thought nothing of it and didn't bother to open it while at the store. Lesson learned. At home, I quickly saw the uneven pink/green screen but decided to wait a few days to see if it would disappear. It didn't and it bothered me enough to take a trip back to the Apple store.

To his credit, the Apple employee was very helpful and provided an exchange without hesitation. Were they understanding because I am still under the 14-day no questions asked period? Who knows, I'm not one to leave it up to them to decide if my iPad screen was acceptable or not.

Anyhow, I opened the new the replacement iPad in-store and it had a much improved screen (was not as nice as the 16gb, but I was able to live with it). Of course, it never crossed my mind to test the audio. I've read many forum posts about bad screens, but have never seen a bad audio post.

So I'm at home with a fully restored iPad via iCloud (thumbs up to Apple for the super easy restore process!)... ready to fire up the iMovie trailers app to take in more retina display beauty and realized there was no audio. WTH? It wasn't muted (tried lock/unlock switch, reboot, hard reset, full wipe/restore... tried everything a Google search gave me).

But get this, the speakers work... in settings > general > sounds adjusting the volume slider causes the audible jingle; however, the volume slider just doesnt show up in any apps. Tried multiple apps, youtube, music, abc player.. same result.

Here's the catcher, when I plug in headphones, the volume slider shows up and it works.. but when I remove headphones the slider disappears again. huh? Yes, I tried unplugging/replugging the headphone jack a million times too.

Anyhow, just wanted to share this story with you folks. I'm not angry, I know the Apple store will make things right. Even though I purchased the Applecare+, I'm glad this happened within the first 14days.

I just don't want to go through a lottery to get an iPad with a good screen. Oh well, back to the Apple store tomorrow. Wish me luck. =)

2. WhoAmI2, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Gotta be the first to say it.... Nice blog. (just clowning you)

I do hope you get the one you want. Good luck.

3. InnocenceMyth macrumors newbie

If the volume slider won't appear unless something is plugged into the headphone jack then the problem is actually with the dock connector (the iPad "thinks" it's docked).

4. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

True. Solution is simple: Change what the orientation lock lever to a mute lever temporarily. Then, restart the iPad while you're on the mute lever. Then change it back to the orientation lock if you so prefer, but you don't have to.

And the audio should be working nicely :)

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

I actually ran into the same issue with my iPad 2 where ir seemed to think it was docked when it wasn't. And every time I used the headphones it did the same thing when took the headphones. A restart fixed it but it was a complete pain to do it every time. Never found another solution though.

6. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

This "thinking it's docked" issue almost always has to do with a dirty dock connector. Cleaning the contacts with isopropanol and a toothpick fixes it in every case I've seen.

7. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

8. socaltyger thread starter macrumors newbie

post update:

Short Story:
    It's as you say, the iPad thinks it's docked. The dock connector's going AWOL. Back to the Apple store tomorrow lol.

Long Story:
    Went to the Apple store today thinking it was a corrupt software/firmware issue. The genius bar did a DFU restore and the volume sliders appeared as normal. So with it appearing to work, we did a reset and restore with iCloud. Upon restore... same problem came back. Genius suggested I may have a currupt iCloud backup... but I mentioned the same iCloud backup worked on the previously returned iPad3 (returned for pink/green display). I didn't bother to check the dock connector at the store.

At that point, we were both puzzled and the suggestion was to do a DFU restore at home and start fresh w/o an iCloud restore. The store is just 15mins away and I have a lot of patience, so I didn't mind. At home, I did the whole DFU restore thing... worked as expected, but I wanted to make sure.. so I turned off the iPad. Upon restart the volume slider is gone! This is all while running the base DFU restored iOS.. no iCloud backup restoration.

So I log onto the forums to check on this post for possible solutions. After reading a few replies, I focus on the dock connector (thanks everyone). Cleaning with rubbing alcohol didn't help. I then decided to plug the ipad into the wall outlet for the heck of it. Upon plugging and disconnecting I hear a jingle!! Sound works again! Yay! Huh? Thinking everything is fine again, I plug the dock back into the outlet only to come back to the same problem, no audio. Can't listen to anything while the dock is plugged into the outlet and charging (was able to charge/play audio with all other ipads).

So the conclusion is as you have said... iPad seems to think it is docked. The dock connector is possessed. Where's the holy water when you need it!

Back to the Apple store tomorrow, this time I will request a replacement. I hope I get one with an acceptable screen... will request another if not. :(