How usable are the older Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danimal99, Dec 11, 2008.

1. danimal99 macrumors regular

I'm primarily a PC user, but I need a Mac for work. I have a Core Duo Mini provided by work, but it's for the most part an inconvenience more than anything else. It's nice enough, but way too underpowered to use as my main computer. I use it connected to my regular monitor and just switch the input back and forth as needed.

Ideally I should just get a MacBook. At their prices, it just doesn't make sense to get a mac pro for my main computer, and an iMac is just too limited for me. I can use a Macbook for work, as well as for school. I would be able to get one new once Xmas is out of the way, in January or so, but I'm wondering if since my requirements aren't very high, if I should get one used. But holy crap, the prices people are asking for used Macbooks! I just don't get it. The specs are pretty underwhelming to be honest on older white Macbooks, yet it doesn't seem like you can get one for much less than $700.

At that price, are they even really worth it? Or should I just get a new/refurbished one from Apple? What I will be doing is typical class note taking, powerpoints, etc. for school, and XCode developing for work. Maybe some media stuff like itunes or watching video for distraction. I would want something that is still usable for 3 or 4 years, and not have to worry about it falling apart as well.

I hate to spend even $200 more than I have to, but I also can't help feeling ripped off buying a 2 year old warranty-less Macbook for $700.

What do the listings look like on the marketplace forum here? (I don't have enough posts yet to view it.)

Thanks much,
    Dan

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

You can probably find a good deal on a white or black macbook..
    I think that would be your best bet if you dont want to spend alot. Youll be getting a NEW computer and have a warranty on it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i still cant justify a new macbook over my first gen mb from 2006

4. danimal99 thread starter macrumors regular

Shady, do you mean by buying one from the Apple store? Like the new base model whitebook for example?

Or do you mean other vendors like MacMall?

Thanks

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

The previous generation MB is $999 but if you get a refurbished one..I'm sure it's much lesser...Go to Macmall.com they have really good prices for the pre. gen. MB :)

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Def. go refurbished. I paid $1000 for a refurb c2d one year ago, and I've used it daily since. Macs are overpriced, but you can level the playing field some by buying refurbs.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Whatever fits your financial situation would be best for you. I personally NEVER buy anything used/refurbished.. Im not saying those things are bad, I just dont buy them.

**see if you can find the "lady bug" post! haha.. Refurbished mac's come with lady bugs inside them! :)

8. danvan21 macrumors regular

I bought a refurbished macbook but it broke... But apple gave me a new aluminum macbook so buy a refurb and hope it breaks.

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

did either of them have lady bugs inside? :D

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You can upgrade the CPU on your Mini to a 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo if you want to save money. Install a 7200rpm hard drive, and 2gb of RAM and it will scream.

11. danimal99 thread starter macrumors regular

The Mini was one of the original Intel's. It originally had a Core Solo in it, and I already upgraded it to a Core Duo. It's also technically work's, and they could ask for it back anytime. I really would prefer to have one of my own, so I don't have to worry about what's on it.

12. danvan21 macrumors regular

no, the trackpad broke 4 times. They replaced the trackpad everytime but im guessing it was a software problem, except the first time when the buttin got stuck down. Ladybugs in a laptop is crazy though.

13. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

My macbook for 2006, core 2 duo, is still as fast as the day i got it. I use it everyday too. No problems. A windows machine would have been slowed to a halt at this point.

You can usually find older macbooks for sale with the applecare for reasonable prices.

Like someone mentioned before macmall is great for this.

I've also had no problems with refurb products from apple.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Did you check out that thread about the lady bugs?? HAHA! Its kinda hard to believe but you never know! ;)

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

16. danimal99 thread starter macrumors regular

I can afford it, I just want to spend it wisely. :)

17. Samwise592 macrumors regular

I have a 1.5 year old macbook 2.16. Specs in sig.

Wonderful machine, runs as well as the day i got it. Very fast. Really anything with a core2duo in it will be more than fine for anything but gaming and graphics/video work.

18. Rambaud macrumors newbie

Yes, macbooks seem to be hold their value pretty well.

I sold my old one, which was 2 years old, for £350 ($700) a few months ago. There was a queue of buyers. :)

I bought a new one and upgraded the hard drive to 320Gb (7200 rpm) and 4Gb of RAM.

The video card restricts the usable games, I am told - which is not relevant to me, as I don't play any games.

19. chrisiw macrumors regular

I have had a White MacBook for two years now, and love it! they really are good laptops, im going to upgrade soon to one of the new Alum models, when the Quality control is better than it is at the moment on the new ones.

20. molala macrumors 6502a

The old ones are reliable. We have a couple of MacBooks at work from 2006 and 2007, no problems. However, I wouldn't buy one without AppleCare because you might be getting a lemon. Refurb is a good option because it has a 1 year warranty, just got one in late Oct (previous generation black MacBook) for £699 (about US$1000).

21. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

And exactly how much computing power do you think this takes?

I've got a Mac Mini and it works just fine doing most tasks.

I've also got a refurbished White MacBook which was definitely worth the price (£519). For an extra £40 I can max out the ram to 4GB.

22. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Same here although I've added RAM and upgraded the HD.