Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I have spotted a second hand late 2006 iMac on sale locally. I was thinking about grabbing it as an extra machine for use at home.

How useable is this going to be in 2014? What is the latest version of OSX that is can run?

Really, just thinking of it for surfing and low end use.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like there were 2 models, an early 2006 iMac and a later 2006. The early has a maximum OSX version of 10.6.8 and the later one 10.7.5.

check our apple-history.com for the details.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have spotted a second hand late 2006 iMac on sale locally. I was thinking about grabbing it as an extra machine for use at home.

How useable is this going to be in 2014? What is the latest version of OSX that is can run?

Really, just thinking of it for surfing and low end use.
If it's a Core Duo processor then the latest OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. If it's a Core 2 Duo processor then the latest OS is Lion 10.7.5.

Maximum RAM is either 2 or 3 GB depending on the exact 2006 model.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
If it's a Core Duo processor then the latest OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. If it's a Core 2 Duo processor then the latest OS is Lion 10.7.5.

Maximum RAM is either 2 or 3 GB depending on the exact 2006 model.

Cheers - it is the later model so can run Lion.

My primary Mac came with Lion. It is now running Mavericks.

I know that legally the licence of Lion I had on that machine can be used on other Macs at home. What is the easiest way of me obtaining a copy of Lion to install on that machine?

Also, is that machine running Lion going to be useable?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Cheers - it is the later model so can run Lion.

My primary Mac came with Lion. It is now running Mavericks.

I know that legally the licence of Lion I had on that machine can be used on other Macs at home. What is the easiest way of me obtaining a copy of Lion to install on that machine?
No, the fact that your Mac came with Lion doesn't allow you to install it on other computers. Only if you buy a retail copy of Lion from Apple does it allow you to install it on all computers you own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.