How useful is a Core Duo 2 system for my mom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bladerunner616, Sep 22, 2015.

1. bladerunner616 macrumors newbie

Yes, I realize it is old and slow, but my mom was using a 1.83 MHz system Core Duo 2 until it died.

Would a 2.4 MHZ be a significant improvement and useful for email and basic web usage?

Thanks.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes it would be fine, if you stick a small cheap BX100 crucial SSD in it'll feel like a very snappy modern computer.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Very useful. Have 2 MBP's that are Core 2 Duo. Upgraded both RAM and SSD. They run like a charm and I use them for a lot more than your mom ever would. I figure I still have a few years left in them. Just upgrade the hard drive to an SSD and it will make a significant improvement.

4. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

x2

5. dpace32 macrumors regular

Similar situation here - I just gave a family member a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook w/4GB and 250GB SSD. It seems to run just fine for what they want it for (home, web browsing, Spotify and light iPhoto work). One of the few disadvantages to this setup is that it won't run the latest version of OS X... just up to Lion :( I am slightly concerned about the missing security updates on the system.

6. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

My mom is currently running a 2009 Core 2 Duo with Yosemite. The RAM is maxed out, but with the original hard drive. She's networked with iCloud to her iPhone 5C and iPad 2. The MacBook is a little slow, but that's fine for her needs. She mainly sends and receives e-mail and manages her digital photos on iPhoto. There's some light web browsing, and document printing and scanning. All of this has been trouble free for the last 6 years.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

8. bladerunner616 thread starter macrumors newbie

Safari and Mail.

9. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

I was using an older white macbook quite happily up until the middle of last year and had no issues with it until age caught up with the wireless card. Go for it if you can get a fairly recent one in good condition. 2010 white Macbooks still seem pretty popular for example and can be picked up quite cheaply and you can really get the memory up there if needs be.

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have an '08 MBPro - the 17 inch C2D version with 6GB RAM - and it serves me well. I upgraded it to a 256 gig SSD and 750 gig HDD in the optical bay and made a Fusion drive from them. It runs the latest OS X version in clamshell with a Samsung 23 inch monitor. I run email, web stuff mostly but also do photo editing with Aperture and have access to the full Adobe Creative Suite (CS6). Runs everything without a burp. Startup time is around 20 seconds.

Dale

11. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

For running just those apps, a Core 2 Duo will perform very well. I would echo the sentiment to get an SSD into the machine, no matter what kind you end up going with. MBP, iMac, Mac Mini, or Macbook would all benefit from the faster storage. Depending on memory capacity, you may want to look into upgrading that as well.

My 07 iMac struggles due to a combination of 4GB of memory and a 500GB HDD (running Yosemite). Upgrading both parts would make the machine useful to me for at least another year or two.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

SSD, max the RAM, shuold be ok - guess you can check it should run El Capitan too

13. geta macrumors 6502a

You can check here if your mac supports the latest OS version -
    http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers...mite-compatible-macs-system-requirements.html

About Core2Duo, im still using my 2009 13" MBP C2D with no problems, easily i can push another couple of years with my use! just dont forget to max the ram and change to SSD, this will give it new life.

That been said, i wouldn't spend money on C2D macs, when you can get used 13" MBP i5 for around €300-350, unless you getting it for free...

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I still have 2 machines at work that have C2D's in them and they are used Mon-Thurs 7:30am-6pm and with a SSD in them you'd probably never know they have almost 8yr old CPU's in them. They run Outlook, Word, Adobe Acrobat, our office practice software so I believe a C2D is more than capable for everyday web surfing and email.

15. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Another vote for "go for it!"... Have a 2009 whitebook that I put in a 240gb SSD and 4gb ram.

I run garageband/rocksmith 2014 on it on the mac side, and run windows XP (heh) for my astrophotography captures. Works like a champ.

--rob

16. wordsworth macrumors regular

I too use a 2009 whitebook, as my main machine in a desktop setup. I run Snow Leopard on it and in doing so can still access old files from PowerPC days. I intend to double the RAM to 4GB eventually and go with an SSD, but for now it's still performing satisfactorily. I use it for editing text files, e-mail and web browsing, plus some basic iTunes and iPhoto storage etc.

I also have a MacBook Air that I use when I need portability.

17. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

As others have said, SSD and RAM upgrades will make the machine perform much better. With prices being what they are now, there really isn't much reason not to do these upgrades.

BTW, when searching, look for a model that will run El Capitan.

18. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I'm typing this on a 2010 MacBook with 8G RAM & 240G SSD. Works great! Not that much slower than current models.
    I used to have the SSD in my previous 2007 MacBook.It was "much" slower, but still usable.
    The 2010 MacBook is faster than my '09 iMac. The 2 factors I think make the biggest difference is SDD vs typical hard drive and RAM speed.

P.S. I should change my foot note. My "New iMac 24" isn't so new!