How useful is the watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lavrishevo, Apr 27, 2015.

1. lavrishevo, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I preordered and then decided to cancel and wait until others weigh in and maybe a few bugs worked out. We all know the bluetooth connection is going to probably reduce iPhone battery life between 20 - 30 percent but really how useful are you finding your watch vs just using the phone?

2. jjlannoo Suspended

If like me you like watches its great. It hasn't reduced my phone battery like your saying that Ive noticed. But I always had bluetooth on

3. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Its ace, so much quicker to check notifications (I get a lot) than pulling out the phone its also great for quick replies. Phone battery has been seriously impacted in a positive way, getting much more out of the battery. Not used the fitness app much more than a rowing session but I like the stand up feature as sometimes when I work from home time flies and I end up sitting for hours on end.

4. sayheysarah macrumors newbie

I always have my bluetooth on my phone anyway, connects to my car automatically, my headset when needed, so I haven't noticed anything different for battery life on my phone.

Since I had a Fitbit Charge before, I was addicted to seeing my steps as well as the time and even incoming phone calls. The Apple Watch does this and so much more. I love my home screen with my calendar, the temperature, sunset, and some other random things. I really enjoy it and today will be my real test, first day back at work after having it.

5. Chantz888 macrumors newbie

I absolutely love it.

1)It's revolutionized how organized I am with reminders, making appointments with how easy and accurate the Siri dictation is.

2) The nailed having Apple Pay added on. It feels like the future.

3) Glances, complications.

4) Navigation from your watch

5) Weather at hand

These are just the few features I'm currently very pleased with. I only see the functionality improve as more third party apps come into play

In summation, GET ONE :)

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

After 3.5 days, it appears that any additional battery drain caused by the bluetooth connection of the watch to the phone is offset by the fact that I'm using my phone less. That is to say, I have not noticed any real difference in battery life on the iPhone as a result of using the watch.

Assessing the usefulness of the watch comes in the form of adding up a bunch of tiny conveniences that in-and-of-themselves are not huge or exciting, the sum of those are significant enough for me.

I used the watch all day yesterday while painting a garage floor with epoxy. Getting notifications, responding to them via Siri, and other tasks were easily handled without ever touching the device - something I could never do with my phone. Just one example.

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I find it very useful for telling the time, that's about it.

8. Alith macrumors 6502

I haven't noticed a bigger battery drain on the phone. If anything, the phone is lasting longer because I'm not reaching for it every time I hear a notification, I see it on my wrist and can quickly flag/delete mails or dismiss messages.

Today I ran into central London. I checked the weather on my watch to work out if I needed to take extra layers, then used Nike+ Running on my watch without ever having to touch the phone app. It uses GPS constantly on the phone, as usual. I listened to music on Spotify through bluetooth headphones paired with the phone the whole run, using the music controls on the watch. I ran 11 miles, grabbed a Pret for lunch and triaged some work emails on my watch. Then I picked up a Starbucks and paid for it with passbook on my watch. I read a book on the Tube home on my phone. The phone was at 70% battery when I got home.

So yeah, the watch is proving very useful. You still use both devices but quick tasks have shifted over to the watch, which preserves the phone's battery. I found the same thing when I got my iPad. Now I have three devices that all have their own niche and battery life is great across them all.

9. didipasstheacid macrumors newbie

The Watch is very useful. It doesn't do anything mind-blowing (besides Apple Pay) but does a lot of little things that slowly add up and make things a bit easier.

Not having to take your phone out, only getting important notifications, not missing important notifications. Siri works really well on it. The health features are super nice to have. Battery life has been fantastic.

It's another hit and will of course just get better and better. Worth it so far and only gets better the more you have it.

Non-native apps are a little slow and a lot of them were just released to say they had a watch app. That will have to be improved.

10. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Pretty good reviews. I will probably pick up a sports black 42. Everybody is saying it is a waste of money for other models and it looks like the sapphire, although more scratch resistant, actually causes to the display to look worse then the sports gorilla glass.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It's been more useful than I imagined. It's nice to know what message just came in on my iPhone without having to get it out of my pocket. Also, my wife keeps her phone in a wallet and has been able to answer my calls with her watch on a number of occasions this weekend.

12. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

I don't find it useful but I'm looking to get one anyway. Going to go for a mid-range one like the brown modern buckle.

13. Bleedcubbieblue, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

Bleedcubbieblue macrumors newbie

So far it's been amazing.

Turned off the the notifications just to texts and phone calls and leave my phone on silent at work. The buzz is quiet and discreet. I've been able to discretely return texts, send emojis, check ESPN scores while at work in meetings or in patient's rooms without looking distracted.

I got it mostly for fitness tracking and the cycle tracking is accurate so far. Love being able to chart all my pulses and steps and having the activity circles does challenge me to try to finish them daily.

The cons: the 3rd party apps lag...but hopefully that will improve