How useful this iMac can be

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asifnaz, Dec 20, 2010.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

I am really tempted for this imac which is on sale only for 29$ on ebay .
    the specs are:

Condition:
    Used:
    Processor Type: PowerPC G3
    Product Family: iMac Processor Speed (per Core): 350 MHz
    Screen Size: 15 inches Processor Configuration: Single Core
    Operating System: Mac OS 9 Memory (RAM): 192 MB
    Primary Drive: CD-ROM Hard Drive Capacity: 7 GB

I wonder if I buy this can it be upgraded to OS X , further can it still be useful to use this computer like internet , movies , songs , word processing etc .

(I have a macbook pro as well , just buying it out of curiousty )

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It would be painfully slow, and unable to run any current software, so it's basically a bust at this point. I suppose it's only 30 bucks, so not a big investment, but nonetheless, it is incredibly outdated, and forget about watching videos on it.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That sounds just like my G3 iMac. It can be upgraded to OS X, I have mine running 10.3.9 it seems to be the fastest, but it can go up to 10.4.11. They can only do light tasks, such as iTunes music and light web browsing. YouTube doesn't work at all and don't expect it to do more then one thing at a time. Also, if you do get it upgrade it's ram to the max of 1Gb and put in a newer faster 7200 rpm drive of 120Gb or less to make it run the fastest.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It is actually a 128GB cap, not a 120GB cap...

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

True, but they never made a 128 Gb hard drive and partitioning them is kind of hard for a newbie person.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Partitioning is super easy. There are even quite a few guides on how to partition a drive...

Edit: they have made 128GB HDD's (well, sort of...), in the form of SSD's...

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Any one that buys an SSD for a G3 iMac needs to seriously rethink their life.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Truth, but it's a G3, not worth putting that much storage in anyway, and I agree with Intell, in those exact words.

9. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I have absolutely no plane to upgrade it in anyway . I want to use as it is . I just want to experience how was a Mac back then .

10. MacHamster68, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

why ?i plan to get one for my iMac G3 700mhz ,16mb vram ,768mb ram(soon 1gb) , ok only thought about a 32 gb or 64gb one as they are becoming really cheap now ,i love that little bugger , i adore it like a child i never had , i would not even consider swapping for a iMac i7 , as personally i find it looks so much better then the new iMac's,and i mean its far more reliable if you consider the little bugger is nearly 10 years old and still runs like on its first day , something you cant ask and cant expect from a more modern computer today where you are lucky if they survive the first 5 years without mayor overhaul

11. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

i have one a first gen slot loader running around 350Mhz with about 300mb of ram and a 10GB hard disc, cost about the same as the OPs. I'll be honest i struggled to find use for it, networking and connectivity options are limited. You'll also be limited to very old software.

for example, on mine i got a very old version of iTunes working (possibly version 5?) Used Bean for word processing. Comino web browser would also be a good idea. Theres no way your going to get any video working on it though!

12. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

13. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

In such case I must give credit to PCs . They are much usable having same specs or even low .

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You still browse the internet and play mp4/acc files on your old Pentium II machine running Windows 98?

15. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

pics or it hasnt happened :p

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

If I may...

You really cannot experience what a Mac was like back then unless you don't upgrade to OS X and only browse sites using the internet wayback machine on a 56K dial-up modem. You'd probably want to find software from the era too...we're talking pre-iTunes if I'm not mistaken.

For you to upgrade to OS X and beefing it up as much as you can, you are truly defeating the purpose of experiencing what a Mac was like back then.

Heck, there may be some online apps or downloads that can get you the same OS 9 experience and save you the $30...(and probably $30 for shipping I bet. It's not cheap to ship heavy items like this.) As a curiosity, it may be OK...but don't expect much more than that. With shipping and the suggestedupgrades, we are talking a few hundred bucks? Enough for a relatively recent used Mac Mini which will blow this G3 away.

17. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Honestly I have an IBM laptop PII 350 mhz with 128 mb ram . I rarely use it but it runs windows 2000 . can play video songs flv , .dat , mp4 etc can use Office 2000 without any problem . Browsing is ok but youtube videos are laggy .

I can even install win xp on that but it will be slow .

I think you guyz are under-estimating the specs(imac and pc both I mentioned) . Year 2000 is not very far

18. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Seriously mate, I have a G3 400 Mhz iMac which is faster then the one you are looking at and to be honest it is nothing more then a hobbyists machine nowadays. Web browsing, especially flash, is painfully slow and the machine is seriously limited with regards to upgrade options, if you want to even run a current web browser then you have to install Linux and run the latest Firefox, it won't run under Panther/Tiger (the max a G3 can run) and neither will the latest Safari, OS 9 is massively outdated now and is strictly in the realm of retro machine collectors.
    If you want an older machine to tinker with that is still useable then get a G4 with a 1 Ghz + CPU.
    On a final note you can usually pick up a G3 iMac on free cycle so I wouldn't pay anything for it.