How Virus Proof is the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by reluttr, Dec 20, 2011.

1. reluttr macrumors member

I was browsing around on some blogs earlier and a popup managed to slip past firefox's built in pop-up blocker.

Of course it was one of those rather shady "adult" pop-ups that seem to be popular with most advertisers.

I quickly closed the window, to avoid any embarrassment since I had family members in the room.

On windows this would prompt me to do a virus scan to make sure no baddies managed to slip onto my system. But I do not know of any free reliable virus scanner for mac, and since it did not prompt me to approve any changes to my system when the pop-up came up. I thought nothing of it.

But the old habit is nagging me, and I need to know if there should be any cause for concern.

The thing that is bothering me is how exactly did the pop-up get through adblock plus AND firefox's coded defenses. Also after the initial pop-up got through and I closed it, I noticed that the page that had the pop up would flash when I would click on any of their articles, as if it was refreshing or running script to bring up another pop-up.

So what do you think?

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Install AdBlocker, stock pop-up blockers are easy to bypass. This doesn't mean you'll get viruses - that's on a whole other level and is a much harder thing to do (and it has never been done in the wild).

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. simsaladimbamba

Very virus-proof, as none exist in public circulation for Mac OS X for ten years now.
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

5. macdudesir macrumors 6502

You do not have a virus. While Mac's are not immune to viruses, there is not and never has been a virus made for a Mac.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I run iAntiVirus, which has helped when my dad has mistakenly installed Moronware, but there aren't any viruses where you have to install it, as it can't do it itself.

TEG

7. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

9. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Complete waste of money and CPU and memory resources.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

Symantec is one of the worst antivirus packages out there. Don't listen to reviews from computer magazines who have a handful of systems to test on, listen to corporate IT guys who have thousands of machines to deal with that most likely use Symantec.

Not only does it never find and remove anything on a users obviously infected system, but if it does find something, it'll alert you and do nothing. Not even Symantec's corporate support can help. Its just broken software and has been for years.

As 0dev mentioned too, it does nothing but hog resources.

11. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You might as well dress your iMac in layers.

12. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I don't think there are any viruses that can hurt a mac. There are mac trojans that can be really nasty but they still rely on ignorant users to install them.

Obviously, without an av program, OS-X has zero ability to stop a virus being passed along to someone else.

13. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Interested in increasing the security of your Mac?

Check out the "Mac security suggestions" link in my sig.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iAntiVirus is one app that makes inaccurate claims about the existence of Mac malware, in order to hype the need for their product. Their bogus "virus definitions" lead me not to trust their app at all, as many of the items o n their list aren't even malware. This post will give details.
    Common sense and a bit of education would be a better defense.

15. HastaLaVista macrumors member

+2 on this.

Symantec at work, I have a handful of employees who lose their computers for a day or two each year due to a virus (and our IT Department's lack of understanding of how to fix the system, they reghost & the employees rebuild). At home, with two teenage girls and an 11 year old son, I've never had a virus, running McAfee and AVG.

Symantec seems to let you get yourself into trouble, not my idea of "antivirus".

16. urbanbound macrumors newbie

anyone know how to un-install iantivirus??

Anyone know how to un-install iantivirus?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

18. dizmonk macrumors regular

I concur on Symantec... Comcast gives it to you for free. I installed it on my MacBook pro.. Froze the sucker up....

I use the Sophos just in case...

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here... and here.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

20. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

21. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Could argue about this forever. People worried and the "fixers" worried about worrying. If you are a home user you should not have to use anything. If you have legal business reasons you can't use Clam (no support) and Intego are crooks with a crap product. Increase your vulnerability is pretty rich considering on most users (if they have not messed about with root) I can create a root password and own the box in seconds via remote shell or ARD sent as root anyway. Paranoia on paranoia.