How was this created?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jrichman63, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jrichman63 macrumors regular

How was this created?

Low poly 3D model? Photoshop effect? Help me figure out this look/style.

Please post more images with this style if you know of them.

Attached Files:

2. skyton macrumors 6502

It would be really difficult to say for sure. Depends if this was created from scratch or from a photo?

So it could be either of the methods you mentioned!

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It Is Guess Work

Since we don't know the origin of the image, but it could have been created from scratch Polygon editing stuff it was made from zip.

Reminds of a low res screenshot from an old game!

4. YESimBLUNTED macrumors member

As the other posters said it could very well be a low poly 3D model, although I would not throw out the fact that it could be an Illustrator design or even an illustrator live trace with colors turned down to around 6 and then possibly modified even more in illustrator for the "low poly" look.

5. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Me, I'm going to say it's Illustrator, but not using the line trace tool. I'm guessing it's been done using a similar method that gives you the "A Scanner Darkly" type look (locked photo layer then tracing over top). I've used this method as well and it's very fun, yet time consuming. I'd be willing to bet money on it. :D

6. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

I'm inclined to agree. If I was going to attempt this, I'd run the original image through something like the 'Watercolor' filter in Photoshop to turn the detail into large blobs of colour and then bring it into Illustrator, lock it, and draw over the top with the pen tool, restricting myself to approximating the shape of the blobs with triangles and picking the colours up from the original image with the eye-dropper.

Cheers

Jim

7. iGav macrumors G3

It's Delaunay Triangulation, up until a few weeks ago, you could download a .js file, that you used with Scriptographer and Illustrator, and it was literally point-and-click. That simple.

But there appears to have been a disagreement between them and the original developer and thus, sadly, but perhaps understandably, it was pulled.

8. jrichman63, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

jrichman63 thread starter macrumors regular

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'd say that sounds and looks like the correct answer.

10. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's done in Illustrator if you check the tuts here I would think they'll have something similar...

11. iGav macrumors G3

Just download the jdDelaunayTriangulation.js here, then install Scriptographer and you're away.