How was your commute to or from work?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Nov 25, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

On the way to work, I was listening to ABC News radio, and the announcer mentioned today being the heaviest traffic day in California, as it is every year. People mostly seem to drive today to their locations or to the train station or ferry or airport, but may return tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday from Thanksgiving.

But getting to where one is going seems to be a Wednesday thing.

I leave late, around noon, and the traffic today was like 8-9 AM rush hour. Lots of cars with stuff strapped to their roofs, and pretty crazy, inconsiderate drivers. Unless there is an accident around that around noon, the highways are usually pretty empty, but today was insane.

I think a part of this was that many people who flew places in Thanksgivings past decided to go local and drive to a relative's or friend's house within a reasonable distance. This recession cannot be good for the airline industry or cruise ship industry, but people still want to get out of town so it's pack up the car and crowd the roadways.

Anyway, how was your commute if you worked today?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's just under 2 miles. I'd bike if it wasn't raining.

3. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how nice it is to not work today or yesterday lol

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I got out of bed and walked down the stairs and into the study. It was chucking it down outside. I love work at home days.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I am going to make it a point to stay off the road the next Wednesday rush/raceway/migration next year before Thanksgiving. I really can't think of any daytime driving which is as dangerous or stressful.

Possibly the only time that is more dangerous to be on the road is very late at night on New Year's Eve, but then again I never work then so I always stay home and avoid the driving.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I worked from home today because the subway I take goes to the airport so its typically crazy on the day before thanksgiving.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Since I have to be at work at 7AM, the morning commute isn't too bad on normal days. It wasn't much different today. They let us off early, so the drive home wasn't bad, either.

9. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

In Wyoming there are no bad traffic days, the roads are either open or closed.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

I didn't have to commute or travel today, but I did drive a few miles to go to lunch and back today, and later to my sister's condo in Nashville. Good God...it's like they opened the doors to the loony bin and let them all out on the streets. I've honestly never seen such completely brainless idiots on the road. How there were no accidents still boggles my mind....

There were people stopping in the middle of the road for no reason (like they were lost, so they thought they should just stop...right there in traffic). There were those who pulled out into the road without looking. There were those who made erratic lane changes with no blinkers. Those who drove so slowly in parking lots that new species evolved.

Where are all these people on regular days, or do regular people just become stupider the day before Thanksgiving? I know I won't be going anywhere NEAR a shopping center on Friday!

11. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I hate you :D

12. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

It's a collective swarm...like how fish don't run into each other when they are in a huge school and change direction quickly.

At least that sounds like a reason :D