How well can i run AOE3

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MacUniversity, Feb 23, 2009.

1. MacUniversity macrumors newbie

I have a Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz, 2GB ram, and a GMA X3100. Thanks

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I have a Macbook 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, and a GMA 950 (much worse than what you got). I can run on medium-low settings very smoothly, on my external 24" monitor at 1920x1200 resolution (resolution seems to not affect AoE3 performance much). Of course, the entire issue is cooling. If you have appropriate cooling, you can run it at whatever specs you want. Our 20" Intel iMac is constantly slowing and crashing during multiplayer games due to heat issues. We often have to turn down its specs, even though it is much more powerful with a not half-bad dedicated GPU, due to the heat.

As for what I do when I play AoE3. I have my Macbook elevated 3 inches, and a small fan behind constantly pumping the hot air out of under it, which gives a big boost. I have Coolbook installed, which, when properly undervolted (READ: this does not mean underclocked, and is completely riskfree and negativefree) lowers my AoE3 temps by 20-30 F. I have Fancontrol installed. And playing with an external monitor (and keyboard) seems to lower the temps by 5 F or so.

The point is, your specs are not as important as your cooling. I have every graphics option available to me (which is fairly limited on my system) enabled, and run AoE3 at around 145 F during an intense multiplayer LAN game. Before I had all of these cooling options options in use, my machine ran AOE3 at 185+ F. If you take the effort to cool your machine (definitely not playing on your lap), then your better integrated card will handle it excellently.

3. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

I run it highest settings minus AA and it runs fantastic on my Powerbook. And yes, like the guy above said, keep your system cool. You should be able to run medium high if not highest.

4. Blair230 macrumors regular

Your iMac should not overheat due to gaming. I have the 24" core2duo with the 8800gs. I am an avid gamer both in Mac OSX and Bootcamp and have never had an overheating issue. The GPU can get hot (75 C) but does not affect performance. This is both in single or multiplayer and for playing extended periods of time. I dont use any third party cooling software either (i.E. SMC Fancontrol).

If you are experiencing issues with overheating I would call Apple if you have applecare.

5. MaTUC macrumors regular

Should run just fine , I got 2 Ghz Core Duo , 4GB Ram and X3100. It runs smoothly ;) You got 2Gb of Ram and a quite faster processor than mine so I think it should run ;)

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Any ideas on how the Mini can handle AOE3? I have the 1.83 C2D Mini and 2GB of RAM pushing a 19in monitor. (22 inch coming soon, hopefully). Any ideas on running it, and keeping it cool?

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Applecare is gone (This iMac was bought new in January of last year). And we're really stressing the system, so I don't see why it's a surprise. Also, it's the ATI card, whatever it was for the higher-end 20-inch of the time.

8. Blair230 macrumors regular

Even still. I tax my system ALL the time with gaming and have never run into an overheating issue. You shouldnt either! Without warranty though its up to you to have it looked at...