Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJBro1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I was wondering how well the macbook pro plays games? I want to play games such as the orange box, left 4 dead, and call of duty 4. I want good graphics on a nice framerate. What kind of games do you guys play and what kind of FPS (framerates per second, not first person shooters) do you get?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
For those games, I can get around 100FPS if I use medium settings, around 60FPS if I use maxed settings; this is on the laptop's LCD default resolution of 1440x900. If I play on my monitor at 2560x1600, I can only get about 50FPS with everything turned to low.

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Depends on the game. I can run Quake 4 and Oblivion at maxed out settings in native resolution with no slowdown what so ever. Of course that in Windows 7 and not leopard.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I watched my friend play COD4 on his upgraded Unibody MacBook with max'd out settings and there was little to no lag.

My guess, is that the MacBook Pro will run games extremely well. I for one have a Unibody MBP but have NO games what so ever on it. lol :rolleyes:

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
I have a base Pro model w/4 gigs of ram and get around 60 fps on L4D @ native resolution with medium settings.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Games run well, but you don't get $2000 worth of performance in games IMO. If games are important to you, I suggest you get a base MacBook, use the rest to build a gaming tower. You can put together a specialized gaming rig for like $800 that would outperform pretty much any laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.