How well could a 2012 MBA run Logic Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by revilate, Jun 21, 2012.

1. revilate macrumors member

I've been running Logic Pro 9 on my 2007 2.4GHz 2duo MBP for some time, but it's feeling a bit clunky.

I currently use an Agility 3 SSD in it and that gave it a real boost.

If I switched to a 2012 MBA (most likely 2.0GHz i7), what sort of negative or positive differences might I notice in terms of performance in Logic as compared to my old machine?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I run Logic on a 2011 i5 1.7ghz 13" MacBook Air 4gb/256gb and it works great. It should be even better on a 2012 model. The SSD is great, I get latency between 6.1 and 6.9 ms with a 64 sample buffer, depending on what interface I use.

I upgraded from a 15" MBP with the same spec as yours (although no SSD). For CPU related activity, my MBA is almost twice as fast as the MBP. All my old software still works too, including Final Cut Pro 6.

I would have gone with the 8gb/512gb model if it had been available in 2011, although I don't have any problems with my current setup. USB 3 on the 2012 models would also be nice for external drives.

3. Caveneau macrumors newbie

Macbook Air

I'm seriously thinking of getting a macbook air also.

4. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

i7, 8gb, 13" MBA running logic here. little puppy screams. you'll be more than good.

I use quite a bit of vst's, and effect plugs as well. I really want to test the usb3 for recording audio.

5. BlueOcean macrumors member

Reassuring. I think Logic is the most taxing program I use on a semi-regular basis. Nice to know the Air can handle it.

6. R24 macrumors newbie

I'm currently looking to purchase my first Mac and am debating between the 13" 2.0 i7, 8gb MBA and the 13" 2.9 i7, 8gb MBP. It seems like the main differences are the optical drive, the ethernet port (I never use this), the resolution and of course, price.

I use my computer mainly for browsing the net and Logic/Ableton.

Questions: would the 0.9 processor bump on the MBP be that significant, given they are both i7's, 8GB etc? Can the MBA comfortably handle Logic/Ableton with multiple VST's/effects etc running? The MBP would NOT have an SSD.

I'm just concerned about the MBA being able to handle Logic/Ableton. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think it will run okay, storage is your issue really....I use my MBA 2011 13" for music work sometimes, but prefer my 17" MBP really. The real heavy lifting is done on my iMac though....To be replaced next year with a Pro....As long as they DO finally update the range