How well do imacs hold their value?

walleyealx

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
From what ive seen mac laptops hold their values very well.

Do imacs hold their value like the laptops?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I would say, not as well as the portables. Not nearly as well. The all-in-one design brings down the value.

Comment

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
the larger the screen, the more value they hold.
a 24" is going to hold value a lot better than a 17"
because of the novelty of a huge screen.

Still, they don't hold value as well as laptops, that's
for sure. It kinda depends how LONG you need it to
hold value for. In the first year, it will significantlly
decrease in value, but in 3 or 4 years it will still have
a fairly high value for that old of a computer.

I just unloaded my 4 year old G4 iMac for a pretty
high-spec'd newer PC desktop.

Comment

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
They do....

They definately do, I have wen t through every revision of the current iMac design. From the first G5 to the new C2D Intel. I qualify for the education discount and a significant discount off Applecare.

Normally I save around £150 on the retail price. Each time I have sold my model on eBay so I can upgrade to the new one, I have actually made a small profit on what I purchased the iMac for (so someone who bought it at retail price would maybe lose around £100 in my situation). The Applecare is trasnferable and I normally get RAM upgrades as a gift from my partner. These both help the machine to sell well.

So yes, if you put in some effort, you can easily scrape back most of the cash 9-12months after purchasing your iMac - this is coming from experience.

David

Comment

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I just unloaded my 4 year old G4 iMac for a pretty high-spec'd newer PC desktop.
I recently sold my iMac G4 800mhz 1Gb Ram Superdrive model for £360 (US$682) on ebay, so you can get a fair amount if its what someone is looking for.

I picked this 17" up for £495 (US$938) on ebay. And its soon going back on!

Comment

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
They do....

They definately do, I have wen t through every revision of the current iMac design. From the first G5 to the new C2D Intel. I qualify for the education discount and a significant discount off Applecare.

Normally I save around £150 on the retail price. Each time I have sold my model on eBay so I can upgrade to the new one, I have actually made a small profit on what I purchased the iMac for (so someone who bought it at retail price would maybe lose around £100 in my situation). The Applecare is trasnferable and I normally get RAM upgrades as a gift from my partner. These both help the machine to sell well.

So yes, if you put in some effort, you can easily scrape back most of the cash 9-12months after purchasing your iMac - this is coming from experience.

David

Comment