iPad How well do you think "desktop-class" Safari on iPad will work?

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by rulymammoth, Jun 3, 2019.

1. rulymammoth macrumors regular

I remember when Steve Jobs was introducing the original iPhone and mentioned that iPhone runs OS X. While that may have been technically true under the hood, the interface was nothing like running OS X on a phone.

So I'm a little bit wary when they "desktop-class" Safari is coming in iOS 13. I don't use my iPad as a laptop replacement and one big reason for that is that some desktop sites still aren't touch friendly. And by not touch friendly, I mean completely unusable. For example, some pages where there's the ability to scroll in a window within a window... those aren't usable on an iPad, or at least not with a lot of precision fingerpointing. Hopeful issues like those are solved. Otherwise, the iPad will continue to remain just a fringe device for me.

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    I’ll wait till I can actually try it. I do hope it is far more than an “always on” version of “request desktop ...” that already exists.

3. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Hope it's more than this.

4. nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

It seems to be always on version of "request desktop version". Also most modern website uses media queries for responsiveness, so this feature doesn't really matter.

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    If that is the case it will be a serious letdown.

6. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I’m hoping it means Request Desktop Version will actually work in split screen for 10.5” and 11” iPads. It currently does not.

7. PhoneI macrumors 68000

Whats makes you think this?

8. nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

Make me think what?

9. dingclancy23 macrumors regular

dingclancy23

It matters. Google Docs on Safari in iOS12 is so skimped. So if you get the desktop Google Docs, with all the features of what you would get from Chrome on the desktop then that is huge.

10. Ferc Kast macrumors 6502

Ferc Kast

Yeah...I was thinking to myself when they mentioned that feature that most sites don't target iPads by User Agent, but by media queries. So, this will probably prove to be less helpful than how they hyped it up as being.

11. haruhiko, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Some websites just stubbornly give a locked down version to whatever device with a resolution of the iPad/iPhone. It's not the problem of iOS actually.

12. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

Those issues are still there. Even Google isn’t touch friendly now.

13. OdT22 macrumors regular

OdT22

I hope it exceeds expectations. Long overdue IMO.

14. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

The speed is insane.

But Dark Mode is poorly implemented. Doesn’t even work with Safari let alone third party apps.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

No extensions to me means “not desktop class safari” honestly.

16. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

First beta people. Apps need to update. Isn’t the safari menus dark? Or do you mean the actual website is still white? If the latter that’s up to the website to implement as well

17. badatusernames macrumors regular

badatusernames

Pretty sure you’ll have to wait until the fall to use apps that use the new system dark mode.

18. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

LMAO.

You think Dark Mode is going to invert colors on people's websites? LOLOLOL. No.

No 3rd party app is going to be forced to have any such ridiculous thing either.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2019 ---
    Not well. A quick breeze through it on my end indicates it is still Mobile Safari in all the ways that actually matter.

19. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

How does this look?

https://imgur.com/WZpoUJE

20. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

It works remarkably well for all of the Google sites (Analytics, Docs, etc.) - will play around with SquareSpace soon. Any other recommendations?

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Good developers use media queries. There are still a lot of weird sites that look blown up on my 12.9” iPad Pro. They detect I’m using an iPad and are like “Let’s lock this viewport to 1024.” It sucks, but is becoming less of an issue over time.

22. dingclancy23 macrumors regular

dingclancy23

Amazing. This is a game changer for Pros who do most of their work on the Web.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---
    The user agent will probably show as OSX Desktop Safari because there is no way Google Docs serves that version just by forcing request desktop.

23. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

So far I've tested Hulu & Netflix, they both allow videos to be played in Safari on new iPadOS. Not even redirecting me to the app. However Prime Videos throws up an error. This is on iPad Pro 10.5. Gonna keep testing sites but so far haven't found any issues and seems to be true desktop Safari, maybe can save on app space now...

24. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

It is when iOS' browser identifies itself as an iOS device. All the browser has to do is identify itself as macOS by default then the user can "Request Mobile Site" when needed. Most desktop sites work for touch devices.

A simple toggle in safari settings: Request Desktop Sites by default Yes/No

Other iOS browsers seem to have figured it out (for example Puffin)

Done.

25. Callander macrumors member

Callander

Works pretty dang well from the figma and webflow videos I’ve seen.