How well do YOU think the iPhone 3g's durability will be.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigD58, Jun 29, 2008.

1. BigD58 macrumors regular

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I believe the biggest thing we 3Ger's will have to contend with, is the smudging of the highly glossed finish.

Scratches? - Of course, if you take a key or any sharp object to any plastic, it will scratch.

Solution? - Buy a case :)

To answer the thread, I think the iPhone 3G will be as durable as it can be, taking into consideration the materials Apple have chose to manufacture it from. :cool:

R-Fly

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I think that the back will hold up pretty well. No more dings, but we will have to worry about cracked plastic. I think it will hold up though.

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I don't see why this is a concern. I'll just go out by saying what is every other phone on the planet made of.

5. randomusername macrumors 6502

^Well, not all. But most. My LG Shine has an aluminum back

Scratches? Of course. I'm not sure if I'll get a cover or invisibleshield. It depends on how will the plastic back will hold up. But seeing how most phones now use plastic on the back it shouldn't be a problem. I'd rather have my iPhone be naked.

6. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I'm more concerned with the front, thats what I'll be looking at, don't see why the back really matters very much.

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

It's the part that people will be able to see when you have it up to your ear, if your that way inclined.

This is easily solved of course by investing in a bluetooth headset.

R-Fly

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm not too worried about durability; once I put IS on the 3G iPhone it should be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and stop bullets...:p

9. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Well whatever the durability is mine is going straight into a case and only taken out when I get home to charge/sync it. I definitely don't want what happened to my older phones in the past.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I think we can safely say that apple won;t make it less durable than version 1

ive dropped my v1 more than a few times, and it only got a few dents. plastic probably wont get any
    and it will still work perfectly fine
    i read a story a while back about an iPhone that was hit by a semi truck and everything worked fine
    it looked awful, but the screen wasnt even cracked

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Why would anyone have to worry about the back getting cracked? Have you ever seen a cellphone with a cracked back before? I've dropped my Helio Ocean many times, often onto concrete, no issues at all. How about a Nintendo DS? Or a Sony PSP? The fact is, they won't use plastic that easily cracks, just like no other electronic device does.