How well does FCP X work with After Effects and 3D software?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nostromo, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

It's often been mentioned: the great integration of Adobe Premiere with After Effects.

How is FCP X's cooperation with AE?

And how well does FCP X play with applications like Maya, Cinema 4D, and Nuke?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There is no integration or round tripping. Export a QT from FCP 10, import that QT into program XYZ, export QT from said program and import it back into FCP 10.

Lethal

3. the vj macrumors 6502a

There is not integration, that crap is not compatible with anything, why do you think is a flaw and Apple is re selling FCP Studio?

4. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Where would you put the difference between "integration" into another software, and "importing/exporting" into a software?

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

That you can move a clip from one part of the suite to the other and back. Like e.g. FCP Classic --> Soundtrack Pro --> back to FCP.

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I works about as well as Android on an iPhone.

7. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

And this is really a problem between FCP X and the software applications above?

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think your confusing software features with workflow. Using 3D models in video programs isn't something as simple as loading a 3D model into FCP or Premier. There is a whole workflow around this process.

Models can be rendered into still frames and put into after effects, have their effects added, and then moved to a compositer like Nuke or something. Then footage output from those programs are put into programs like FCP or Premier.

If you have $50 to spend each month for a month or two have a look at Digital Tutors. They have a whole extensive series on the workflow on putting 3D models into video using 3D applications and compositing and match moving applications.

EDIT: Maybe I'm reading too much into your question since you only mentioned 3D apps and not wanting to put 3D into video.

Anyway After Effects works fine with FCPX to answer your original question. I just output a scene from AE and give it to my friend who loads it into FCPX.

9. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Thanks, great post.

When you ask a question like this you always hope that someone puts additional associations to it and answers it in wider terms than the scope of the question asked. Which you did.

So, I take it, basically it doesn't matter if you use Adobe Premiere or FCP X. That final step of workflow is more dependent on importing code than integration in a software package like "production premium" as I take from your post.

I'll check out digital tutors. In regards to 3 D, I'm currently laying a foundation by messing with Blender, but will take classes at a community college for Maya.

So, basically I'm looking ahead and thinking about what I'd need to get a workflow together.

The only thing is, that buying After Effects alone would be no cheaper than getting Adobe's Production Premium suite as an update from Photoshop CS5 extended.

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Wait until you are back to college, then you'll be able to get Adobe products to an insanely cheap price.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It really depends on how much you are going to be using AE in conjunction with your NLE. If you'll be using AE a lot in your editing then having the integration between AE and PPro can mean a faster, more efficient workflow.

Lethal

12. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

AE's relationship with c4d is a great example of integration between applications.

http://www.mographwiki.net/After_Effects_integration_with_3D

Really one of the best between separate companies, IMO.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As other said wait until your a student. I got Production Premium CS5.5 for like $300 or $350. That being said some schools only allow you to order once so make sure you get what you need the first time.

The digital tutors course is excellent too. Its a lot of work and its very long but I have learned so much from it. It can be overwhelming at first but once you get the workflow down of creating render passes for 3D objects and importing them in to After Effects you'll have a ton of fun.

I use Maya and After Effects but really you can do any 3D software but its mostly beneficial if it does render passes and you can export them in sections. I made the huge mistake of not doing passes and had to rerender my project after seeing that my shadows didn't blend as well as I wanted :eek:

14. mBox macrumors 68020

Yea I would like a solid workflow between AE and Maya. Still not diggin Use Background (shader) probs with rendered layers in AE :p

15. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

The thing is that I also run a photography business.

Photoshop would be part of Production Premium. Are there any limiations of using student software for businesses?

One solution might be that I keep my full price Photoshop Extended CS5 and add the Production Premium Suite in student pricing. This way, I'd have a fully paid Photoshop copy, and a student copy (within the Production Premium suite).

I'm actually going to download iMovie 11 to see if I like the FCP X ways...

C4D can output a file in the AE file format - very elegant!

16. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The student license doesn't let you create commercial products. Once you get paid for your stuff, you are supposed to pay for the full license.

Adobe's student price is kinda like a drug dealer offering his stuff for free until he gets you hooked ;)

17. smetvid macrumors 6502

Most of the time when we render from 3D it is to image sequences. This is because it offers better support and render functions such as batch rendering. We can also stop a render at any point and resume with no problems or just render a few filler frames to make a small change in a section.

FCPX does not allow the import of image sequences so in my opinion it makes FCPX dead in the water for working with 3D programs. It is so bad in fact that Apple gave me a full refund due to this one omission.

If you render to a quicktime file then yes you can import into FCPX but I would never work like that.

18. mBox macrumors 68020

Image sequence? Not a problem, just import into QT Pro and create container. Just like the old days before image sequence import was around.
    Heck you cant even do that with the Mighty Avid MC :p
    I think most have gotten lazy when it comes to workflows.
    Plus it should be 3D renders to frames then to a Compositing app.
    Not sure what level of 3D you folks work at but pro level never go from 3D app straight to NLE. Just not a real workflow.
    We always need to composite or do cc or whatever in AE or same.

19. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

It's just a bit hard to establish when you are professional, and when you are not. If you sell your first video project, should you run and throw the money from it to buy the full price version?

I mean "professional" means "making a living off it", not "losing your amateur virginity" by getting paid the first time. (I don't think the world "professional" can be as easily attached to an image creative as to a sex creative... ah ...hooker ;) )

I think a good middle way is to once you make money of, let's say video, you do the next upgrade full price.

This software is complex anyway, and it'll take a while to get to a professional level.

I think you are right and Apple should listen to creatives like you and adapt to modern workflows. FCP X aims to be the latest, greatest, and most modern, so it must adapt to current workflows.

Adobe's Production Premium is a tough competitor/a great alternative that Apple should not underestimate.

20. cgbier macrumors 6502a

APA says that you are a professional once you make 50% of your income from photography. They never mentioned any quality level ;)

I just quoted the Adobe license (from memory)...

21. mBox, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

mBox macrumors 68020

22. smetvid macrumors 6502

Our editor typically does our color correction unless we use Scratch for our Red footage then I do it. We also take great care to render correctly the first time so our editor can import directly into the NLE. He typically only needs to do very minor corrections if any. There are shots of course where we render many elements and composite them together in which case yes that would be our workflow to go to After Effects first but it isn't always our situation. It really depends on the project.

23. mBox macrumors 68020

Your lucky to have workflow that goes straight from 3D to NLE.
    Even with Max going to QT, I would avoid containers all together.
    Frames is where its at in all levels of 3D rendering IMHO.

24. cgbier macrumors 6502a

At least export from FCP X to AE seems to work now with Foolcut AE...

25. vulsker macrumors newbie

I hope

I hope they really do get the kinks worked out of FCX eventually but anyways I just ordered the Adobe CS 5.5 Production myself. And about the commercial thing, this is straight from their website.

How can I use my software — during and after school?
    Do Adobe Student and Teacher Editions have restricted functionality?

Student and Teacher Editions have all the features and functionality of the commercial versions. The software may be used only on a privately owned computer, and the user may not transfer or resell ownership of the Adobe Student and Teacher Edition license.
    Is there a time limit on using an Adobe Student and Teacher Edition?

Eligible users who purchase an Adobe Student and Teacher Edition receive a perpetual license that does not have a time restriction.

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?

Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.