How well does Leopard perform on the older MBP core due?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lavrishevo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I recently installed Leopard on my somewhat older MBP. It on about 18 months old now and running like a champ. It really has been an incredible machine especially with the work I do. I do high end audio/visual production and I am constantly on the road from show to show. So you can imagine the amount of minor abuse it has to go through from city to city in my bag bouncing around.

So anyway, Leopard has been running pretty good, besides a bunch of permissions that won't repair though this seems to be no big deal, but I am wondering how much gain do you guys think there is to see performance wise with the older generation? I believe I am not 64 bit, correct me if I am wrong, and do you think I am not seeing what a lot of other are being core duo and not core 2 duo santa rosa? Personally I do not see much gain and if anything I think it takes a bit longer to boot up. Any others on the core duo's notice any gain in speed?

2. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Not an expert on the 64 bit thing, but i dont think you'll notice it that much unless you're doing something that requires a lot of computing power. But naturally, the C2D's are faster than the CD's.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Considering many people are running Leopard without problems on G4s, I wouldn't lose sleep imagining how much faster it runs on a C2D than it does on a CD. Upgrade-itis isn't worth it.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

So far Leopard seems to be running great on all types of hardware. Every once and awhile though, it appears to not do so great, even from those who have very newer machines.

5. f1 macrumors 6502

Speaking of 64bit, does anyone know if a macbook with a core 2 duo chip but without the Santa Rosa chipset is taking advantage of 64 bit processing? Or do you need to have the core 2 duo chip AND santa rosa to take advantage of that?

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I have Leopard running in a Core Duo MB (2.0 Ghz) and a 1.83 Ghz C2D Mini and can't tell the difference between the two performance-wise. I think the performance difference between CD & C2D is negligible, if I remember from glancing at the MacWorld speed rating chart

7. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

My Core Duo runs amazing still with leopard.

I'm having that permission problem too, weird.

I don't really think of my machine as "last gen", as the current machines are not some giant leap over Core Duo.

My iBook G3 runs Tiger flawlessly, I should hope my MBP can run Leopard nicely. lol.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

All Core 2 Duos are 64-Bit. Core Duos are 32-bit.

It does not matter what chipset it is using. The chipset doesn't determine if the CPU is 64 or 32 bit.

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The problem being the chipset before Santa Rosa cannot handle 64 bit memory access and is limited to 3.2 GB of RAM (or whatever the number is). So even though it has a 64 bit processor, that doesn't necessarily mean it has all the potential it could have.

10. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

I fresh installed the Leopard on my MBP and it runs much faster than I was ONLY upgraded it from Tiger. Wooooooot!