Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Thinking of getting the base model 2011 21.5" iMac and would like to know how well it runs Portal 2, and how good it looks. -thanks-

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
oh it's a fantastic game! it's like 4 times better than the first one. :)

Only 4?!

But yeah, it runs perfectly on these new machines. My 27" can handle it with everything maxed out (on Win7), even at 8xAA at 2560x1440... you just don't need that! And works more or less the same on my brothers 21", again under Windows. Can't comment on OSX's performance.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
It's a REALLY great OS X game. Tests show it runs as good/slightly better under OS X than Windows, and it runs better than any other Source game for me. Probably because it isn't a port, and was developed for OS X the same time as Windows.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
Only 4?!

But yeah, it runs perfectly on these new machines. My 27" can handle it with everything maxed out (on Win7), even at 8xAA at 2560x1440... you just don't need that! And works more or less the same on my brothers 21", again under Windows. Can't comment on OSX's performance.

4 times better is a LOT :)

The original was already made of pure epic awesome.

It's a REALLY great OS X game. Tests show it runs as good/slightly better under OS X than Windows, and it runs better than any other Source game for me. Probably because it isn't a port, and was developed for OS X the same time as Windows.

It's fantastic that Valve is taking an interest in the mac world :)

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
That game is amazing. I played the first, beat it, then got the second. I was surprised at how long it actually was as well, the first was great but too short for me. The second kept me guessing and I always felt rewarded when finding out how to solve a puzzle.

The writing is AMAZING and the storyline is awesome as well; when you go back to the old Aperture labs (old old) you really get some backstory on what happened. I definitely freaked out a few times in excitement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.