How well does runescape work on the new Macbook Pro Retina?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Patinator, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Patinator macrumors newbie

I am buying the new MacBook pro retina tomorrow! However through intensive researching on the gaming abilities of the computer I have no idea how well it will run runescape. I was just curious on the fps you get while play hd maxium graphics and how long you guys can game on runescape without the laptop shutting down. I know runescape is a low end game and all but I have read some complaints from people who play runescape on macs. Thanks :D

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

One would think this is a joke thread, no offense :). I say that because the Retina MacVook Pro will absolutely demolish this game at its highest settings, which frankly look straight out of 1998.

3. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

That depends... openGL has always had problems. Anyone with a rMBP want to try it on max?

4. royal shrimp macrumors member

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

is it something with the HiDPI res? Did you try running a non-HiDPI resolution and see what happens?

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It will work 10000% well on Windows, if you install Boot Camp. Even VMware or Parallels will do just fine.

7. Patinator thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically if i get windows for mac everything will run well as far as runescape goes?

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I go to the local library and I see 7 year old kids playing RuneScape on the ancient library computers. Not slagging RuneScape - it's a nice game for kids - I played some a long time ago when I was a lot younger and it was pretty new.

If you're old enough and wealthy enough to have your own rMBP, please, for the love of god, do something else with it.

9. royal shrimp macrumors member

i did, no change, same problems!

10. doh123 macrumors 65816

and a different browser? theres nothing on the machine that should cause it to render bad like that.

11. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Use Google Chrome, it should run fine in OS X.

12. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Hmmm, Runescape ran fine on my old Pentium III 900mzh College desktop. And it ran fine on my old Pismo...in fact....I think the only system I've ever owned that cant run it is my old 486DX4

13. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I used to play the game quite a bit but haven't recently because of issues with how the developers want to change the game, but thats a different story for another day.

The Mac client is super buggy, it stutters and flickers every time you move more than 20 spaces or so. I only get 30 FPS with everything except for AA turned on yet L4D2 gets 70+ and it's graphics are a million times better. 2011 17 inch MBP so it's not super different from a retina.

14. Patinator thread starter macrumors newbie

I am barely getting 20 fps on my new macbook pro retina that came in today, what browser are you playing on? and whats AA? Also are you playing in hd? tell me your set up :p

15. royal shrimp macrumors member

how are u playing?

16. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

17. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Someone beat me to it but I guess I'll just reinforce their point. Use the Runescape downloadable client, it works substantially better than the browser version on a Mac.

18. royal shrimp macrumors member

IT DOESN'T RUN RUNESCAPE, i tried the downloaded app already.

19. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I use the RS downloadable Mac client all the time with no problems.

20. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I don't understand how it can not run. There is nothing different about the new Macbook Pro other than it's resolution. Maybe you need to install Java (or a different version of it)?

21. royal shrimp macrumors member

resolution is high, maybe hardware isnt support, maybe the newest java(7) isnt supported, i dont know man but all i can tell you is it done NOT run on the retina macbook pro with mountain lion

22. Born2bwild macrumors newbie

Born2bwild

I can confirm that the game works completely with a rMBP even under the 1200p scaled option at highest settings through the client (OpenGl).

23. royal shrimp, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

royal shrimp macrumors member

how you get it to work? also, OS X or windows, because i can say that it works under windows fine

24. apintobeer macrumors newbie

I'm new to this

I have recently purchased a macbook Pro ( retina ), I have searched high and low on the internet to see if I can, Indeed play Runescape. I'm not the most computer astute person and have found no way to do this.... I would be forever grateful if someone could let me know, and if so, explain the process I would have to go threw? muchas Gracias!

25. apintobeer macrumors newbie

I just wanted to bring my comment below to your attention, any advice?!?!