How well does Siri work for you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPodJedi, Jan 9, 2014.

?

What percent of the time does Siri understand you?

1. Every time

2.2%
  2. almost every time

37.0%
  3. most of the time

23.9%
  4. 50-50

13.0%
  5. Sometimes

4.3%
  6. Hardly ever

8.7%
  7. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I don't use Siri

10.9%
  9. I don't have a product with Siri capabilities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iPodJedi, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

How often does Siri understand you and your voice?

For me, Siri never understands me but my voice is very clear...

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I talk to Siri no diffrent then I would if I were talking to you in person. But there's something wrong in 50% of thing I ask her.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

4. mattyu007 macrumors regular

mattyu007

Siri (and Dictation, I guess) lie somewhere between 50-50 and "most of the time" for me. Even with minor mis-recognitions, Siri is usually still able to get the main action correct.

Usually.

Attached Files:

5. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

He's been quite good for me (male in the UK). He usually understands me even when I'm mumbling lol. It was funny the other day I activated Siri by accident and I muttered under my breath go away Siri. It was heard and recognised, as he said that wasn't very nice shanghaichica (real name)! I was surprised that what I had said was recognised as I wasn't even speaking clearly.

6. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Very rarely, sadly!
    Perhaps no wonder as Apple have not released Norwegian support for Siri yet.. :(

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

siri is terrible, almost anytime i ask her something she just wants to google it, which defeats the purpose of asking her.

8. August West macrumors member

I got my an iPhone 5s a couple of weeks ago and being my first Siri product I'm pretty impressed with how well it works. As long as I stay within the limitations of what Siri can do, it works very well for me. I do try to speak a little more slowly and clearly than I normally do since I tend to talk too fast and run words together.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I find Siri (an "it", not a "she", for me) useful for setting alarms, timers, texts, reminders, the occasional short email, and the spelling of names and professionally related words.

If I'm away from home I might ask a question and receive a Googled answer, which is fine with me since were I at home, I would have Googled the question.

Since I don't need a software program as a friend and I guess that my expectations are low... it seldom disappoints.:)

10. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I would say about 98% of the time. It's very rare that siri misses what I say. I use it for hardware settings, playing music, setting alarms and reminders and sending messages and emails.

11. iPodJedi, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

iPodJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I asked Siri to open safari a few days ago and it asked me if u want to search the web for something inappropriate even though I just said "Siri, can you please open Safari" I was a bit offended by that...Siri is really annoying and never understands :(

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Sorry Siri never worked for me. I am hearing impaired with awful voice. :apple:

13. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

I use it for basic tasks...reminders, weather and playing songs. Works every time.

14. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Siri sometimes misinterprets what I say but I may be saying things that are too complex or related to notes about contacting people. Maybe I just have really bad speech pronunciation. I do mumble sometimes I must admit lol

15. iPodJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Sometimes i wonder that to-whether what m asking is too complex for Siri then i press "What can I ask Siri" and it comes up with all the options and I ask exactly as i say and she doesn't understand

16. cynics macrumors G4

My problem with Siri is names. It will try to correct names to non nouns. This is a huge issue for me because I want to use it for directions. Coincidentally roads have names so it tried to change them.

I find that Google works 10x better! I suggest using their search.

17. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

I use Siri (esp for reminders and timers) a TON. Functionally it works nearly every time, if you want to be PICKY I would say somewhere between 25% and 35% of the time it's flawless.

What I mean by functionally is that if I say, "Remind me tomorrow at 515 AM that my first C-Section starts at 800 AM." I will get a reminder at the correct time, reminding me that my first "see section" is at 800 AM. Technically it isn't correct, but it's functional and I'm very happy with it.

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

She has an attitude too.

19. iPodJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

That is probably my biggest problem too- I'll say call Ryan and it says back "I don't see shine in your contacts"- I have no clue where shine comes from but that isn't even that close to Ryan.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't really use Siri anymore, but I have used it in the past for messaging while I was using both hands at work. It typically worked without any major misunderstandings.

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Siri understands my voice correctly most of the time, although it falters with place names, particularly those it has never heard before. Street names or place names, for example. But that's kind of to be expected.

What I find I use Siri most often for is to set an alarm. It's SO much easier to say "wake me up at 7:30" than to scroll over to the first app screen, open the Clock app, navigate to the Alarms page, hit Edit, scroll the numbers to 7:30, and hit Save. Especially late at night when I might already be lying in bed.

Otherwise, I keep my requests pretty simple, understanding that "she" doesn't really understand anything, and is basically pulling out the most important keywords to base its response from. "Siri, would you please be a dear and tell me what alarms I have set?" and "Alarms" both show the same results. (But, thanks to the magic of Apple engineers with apparently too much time on their hands, the first one gave me a more interesting response first...)

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It doesn't have issues understanding me; the issue is it doesn't always give the results I'm looking for.

23. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

It understands me perfectly. (American Accent) The scope of what it can do is still limited, but for normal tasks like alarms and settings, it's great.

24. samapal macrumors newbie

Siri was appeared when iPhone 4s came to the market at 2011. But since 2011 siri has no any major updates. I dont know why apple dont finish they product. Siri has big potential but aplle "forget" about it

25. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Siri is pretty reliable for me until I ask for certain names and then it becomes an issue of her understanding me.