How well does the 2.23 mini cope with Aperture 2?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Whackintosh, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

And is there a major difference in speed and ease of use when compared with say, a 2.53 MBP running the 9400?

2. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

3. The Hammer macrumors regular

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it matters I can try it on my 2.0 that has 4 gigs ram and a 250 gb 7200 rpm drive.

5. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be great! Can you try it with a few RAW files?

I wish there was a way to see a mini with 4gigs and a 7200 HDD in action at the Apple store. The stock config seems very slow, even for things like opening Word or Imovie!

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

My 2.0 mini with 4gb and a 5400 drive runs aperture fine.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I disagree with the stock config being slow. The ram and hdd weren't totally necessary for my needs (htpc) but they're nice to have.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

My MacBook Air (1.83/9400m) does very well with raw files, so I suspect the Mini will be even better. Don't plan on batch processing hundreds of files (unless you let it run overnight), but otherwise, put 4 gb of RAM in it and you should be set for moderate use.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. After working on a 2.26GHz with 2GB RAM and the stock 160GB HDD for about a month, I can assure you that you cannot find a computer with a slower hard drive on the market.
    Basically, I couldn't do more than one thing at a time before the computer would start to excessively slow down. Even using Plex with media stored on an external HDD was nearly impossible.
    After placing a WD Scorpio Black 320GB HDD inside the Mini, I can actually use the computer.

Why on earth does Apple not have a drive that is actually usable as standard? They do it on all the other product lines.

There is no noticeable difference in processing power between 2 GHz and 2.26GHz compared to the difference a faster HDD makes.