How well does the Apple Leather protect the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by marc55, Sep 20, 2015.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I usually get the Speck Candyshell case, but I would really like to try the Apple leather case for my new 6S.

However, I'm concerned on how well it will protect the phone should I drop it. Mind you, I'm over 60, and very careful, but everyone and then, Oops.......

What is your opinion on the amount of protection the leather case offers?

Thank you
    m

2. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

I have the leather case for my 5s, and works well. Won't protect dropping the phone right on the face on something that sticks up, but I've dropped it face down, onto a corner, onto the back, and no damage whatsoever. You should be aware that the leather is meant to "live", and will age and pick up wear marks, so you should take in consideration whether you like that sort of a "patina" or not.

3. jkel777 macrumors 6502

My brother recently dropped his 6 with the leather case on and the phone took no damage. He was actually worried his screen has cracked. However, his case took a pretty big hit and he'll probably have to get a new one.

4. segrobja macrumors regular

Ive used the leather Apple cases on my phones for the past few years. I'd suggest a darker color as it shows the wear less. One of my 6+'s had the dark blue and it held up great for a year. I had a tannish brown on my 5S that ended up stained from denim and hand grease, looks good but worn in.

5. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I've had my 6 in a leather case since it was new. I've dropped it many times and never suffered any damage. And I love the look of the navy blue leather with the silver/white phone.

6. segrobja macrumors regular

The Speck Candy shells do offer better protection. The lip that protrudes out around the face is more substantial and can be handy if you drop it face down. Protection wise the leather cases from Apple are okay, I've dropped mine in them before and never had any issues and any nicks in the leather wear away after awhile. But I've never dropped face down with the leather case.

7. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I don't know if they've redesigned the leather case for the 6s, but I thought the leather case for the 6 offered less drop protection than the silicone one. The silicone one had solid sides (it's basically silicone over a plastic shell)

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

While the leather case is a great fit it offers only average protection for your phone. The lip on the screen side is low, so if your phone falls on its face it's really not going to protect it
    I don't believe the case was designed with protection as a top feature.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I can attest after several drops that it does well.... UNLESS it lands on the exposed glass at the bottom. That has zero protection and I didn't have a protector on at the time and it cracked right below the home button causing spider web cracks over most of the bottom of the phone. $130 later for a new screen at apple and all is good. It was actually the first broken screen on an iPhone I've had from OiPhone. My kids have managed to crack a few here and there but I've been fortunate.... well there was a 3gs that took a 100+ foot tumble while I was riding slick rock but that was a total loss.

10. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Would the Apple Silicone case protect better?