How well does the bumper protect the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jfrancis04, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Jun 11, 2010
    For those of you who have a bumper, I'm just curious if it helps at all with protecting the phone when dropped?

I actually thought the lip would come out just a little bit further than it actually does. I'm wondering if any part of the screen will hit the ground if dropped with a bumper on.
  2. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 11, 2010
  3. ericwang macrumors member

Mar 12, 2010
    Davis, California
    I agree. I thought it would come out a little bit more on the edges to protect it from drops more but it is easy to grip and I feel a lot better with it on. However, I thought one of the more aesthetic features of the iPhone 4 was its stainless steel border and I'm kind of sad that it is covered. I think that if it is dropped on a flat surface, it should be fine but otherwise, maybe not.
  4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    I think it's great. The raised edge serves two purposes. It makes the iPhone hardware 'feel' thinner and the back/front never touch the surface they're set on. It would probably break if dropped but the phone would survive.

Great case.
  5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Jun 20, 2010
    I dropped my phone already on a wooden floor and it's okay.
  6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Really depends on what it's hitting. It should protect against a smooth, level floor, but it's not going to help if it falls on a cobblestone walk or street. Similarly, if you put it in a pocket, bag, etc where there are loose objects -- coins, keys, etc. that can come into contact with it the bumper is not going to help. You'd either need a rear protector (screen protector designed for the back) or full case.
  7. map1978 macrumors 68020

Feb 9, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    im liking the bumper so far...kind of weird feeling holding in the hand though

just ordered a front and back screen protector...hoping to get them in a few days

LOVING the naked look of the phone so I bought the squaretrade warranty

cant beat less the $5 a month for a phone thats all glass ;)