How well does the ecosystem play with others?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benmrii, Sep 10, 2015.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm considering swapping back to iOS and the iPhone and looking for input as to how well it works these days with Google's services such as Gmail and Calendar.

Brief background: Long time Apple user, including every suite of internet services they've released since iTools. iCloud was the final straw and I fully shifted to Google. (I don't care for this to become a debate on whether or not iCloud is any good, better now, better in comparison, etc., simply trying to clarify up front that using it is not an option I'm willing to consider.) For a time I was happy using them on the iPhone, but I figured it might be worth it to jump to a Nexus and go full Google/Android.

I'm pleased with Android and like my Nexus 5, but when it comes down to the little differences between how the phone operates, how Google Now interacts vs. Siri, what accessories are available, etc., I find myself missing my iPhones past and drawn to the new 6s or 6s Plus. But I'm wondering how locked down iOS is these days to iCloud. Will it play nice with Google? Will I be forced to use Apple's Maps when Siri gives me directions? Will I suffer pop ups more often than my MacBook Pro's requests to enter or create an iCloud account?

I realize some of this will be speculation with potential changes around the above from iOS 8 to 9, but I welcome your thoughts from those of you who also avoid iCloud but love your iPhone. Thank you for your input.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've used my iPhones with Google for years now. Once I figured out that I could not push changes to an iCloud contact or calendar from my iPhone to my other devices I ditched iCloud for contacts and calendars and switched to my Google account.

It gives me to freedom to sync changes between a number of different devices. Mainly PowerPC Macs, my iPhone and an Android tablet.

There's no way iCloud will ever sync with Entourage 2008 on a 2003 vintage PowerBook G4. But Google can. :D

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use Windows, Mac OSX, Android, Chrome OS, and Windows RT pretty much everyday at home or at work. I have found that Google followed by Microsoft tend to offer the best interoperability for applications and services. On top of that in the worst case as long as you have a modern browser both Google and Microsoft offer very feature rich web versions of their desktop and mobile applications.

4. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

We've had similar experiences and it sounds like iOS continues to at least permit that option. Out of curiosity, what keeps you on an iPhone when you run with a Google account and an Android tablet? Your perspective might help my decision...

I agree, and the web versions were and are a big issue for me. iCloud's web access is a hot mess, when it works at all, and its unreliability was the kicker. I often need to access my information via a web browser, and Google's web versions are slick.

5. flur macrumors 68000

I use gmail, both the standard and "for business" versions, and keep all my contacts and calendar entries in my google accounts. I've no issues with all of that working perfectly on my iphone.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I have history with Apple as well.

I'm a Graphic Designer for a newspaper and that is the industry I have always worked in. It's dominated by Macs. Or was anyway.

So I work with Macs all day every day and that's what I'm used to. I also collect email addresses like people buy clothes, so when I was able to get my first Gmail address I snapped one up.

I converted to Mac (for personal use) in late 2002 and have had various Apple products since then. My iPhone 5 though was my very first brand new from Apple iPhone purchase. I came over from a Windows Mobile phone. My 6+ is my second brand new iPhone purchase (my third iPhone). Part of the deal for that was a Sprint LG G-Pad 7 as a freebie. So, that's how I happen to have an Android tablet.

But before all that, Google and Yahoo were the only services that would sync on my PowerPC Macs. I don't use Yahoo for contacts/calendars (just mail) so I stuck with Google.

I have yet to find a device Google won't sync with. It worked just fine on my old WinMo phone (mail) too.

7. flur macrumors 68000

This is why I keep everything with Google. Google works with everything. It doesn't feel proprietary, even though they also make phones. I like my Apple stuff, but I don't want to feel locked in. And I work in an industry that uses PCs, being able to access everything from my work browser is convenient.

And I'm just tired of moving all my contacts and such around.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Agreed.

Contacts, calendars and mail are three of the most used services I utilize with Google. Don't necessarily care for anything else or some of the stuff Google does but these three services work and are dependable.

9. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

Appreciate the further input. Interestingly between yours and flur's...

... my question is clarified. I don't doubt Google will continue to make their services available on various devices, I'm more worried that Apple will continue to work - in the name of iCloud integration - to discourage smooth syncing. But as it sounds like that's not the case yet, that alleviates my biggest concern about the potential change back to an iPhone. Thank you!

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No problem!

Just be sure when you add your account for both contacts and calendars that you specify the account to use in Settings for that. Otherwise iOS will default to "On my iPhone" which is code for iCloud. ;)

11. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

Indeed. If I make the switch back - at the very least I'll be waiting for the initial rush to calm down and read up on iOS 9 - the first thing I'll be doing is reading up on how to avoid iCloud. :)

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I use it for some stuff. Mainly for backup of my data (photos, email, messages) but not contacts or calendars.

I'm also not using the newer version of Photo backup that allows you to access your photos online. When you set the phone up you can decline all that stuff though. Apple just doesn't make that the default button. :D

13. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

I don't even know what iDisk (or whatever it's called now) offers or how it works these days, I just know when I stopped using iCloud it was a joke. But that's a thought. I use Dropbox pretty heavily, but if the unique iOS integration uses iCloud's storage for some backups it could be useful. Thanks again.

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Thanks to the brilliant developers at Google they enhance the iPhone experience dramatically. I use almost every Google Mobile App. Core services that Apple is weak on are done expertly by Google.

Contacts Calendar, Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, you name it Googles ready and it's free. I use Android UNIX Windows OS X all at work and every smartphone, laptop and tablet I have are perfectly synced at all times. It's terrific.

No need to be exposed to reliability issues with iCloud like I had with MobileMe. Surely in a few more years Apple will catch up, but it's going to be risky till they do. I'm a firm believer that Apples capable, but they struggle. Too many projects for them, only Apple knows the facts.

15. Stridr69 macrumors newbie

Stridr69

..and for me, Google Play is vastly superior to Apple Music. I moved my iTunes music to Google Play back in 2010 and couldn't be happier...until Google Play + was introduced in 2013 for $7.99 a month. Now I can mix/match my music with new offerings anytime. Plus no iTunes app to deal with on a Win10 computer(my preference), just Chrome(or browser of your choice) web-based access. If Apple shuts down ANY offering by Google on iOS, then you'll see me selling my iDevice ASAP.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Agree on Google Play. I got in on the Beta so I've never had any restrictions and I've never had to pay anything. I don't know if that's normal or not.

In any case, Google Play is STILL supporting the PowerPC Mac. My entire iTunes library has been uploaded from my 17" PowerBook G4 through the System Preference that Google has and any changes I make there reflect up to Google Play. I've got over 10GB of music I can stream and none of it's actually on my iPhone.