How well does the iPad mini 1st gen run ios 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jordan246, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Jordan246 macrumors regular

Jordan246

I was just wondering is anyone out there running ios 8 on there iPad mini 1st gen and how is the performance

2. canuckle macrumors regular

Hard to tell yet, it's only beta 2 and it can be a bit jerky in places, but in others it's smooth as glass. Until it's a bit more refined it's too early to tell.

3. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Other than some little quirky annoyances, I have not had any problems. For me, my iPad mini (16 gig, wifi) is completely usable.

4. pmz macrumors 68000

Nothing runs iOS 8 well yet. Impossible to answer. Ridiculous to ask.

5. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Why is it ridiculous to ask haha
    When ios 6 and 7 came out it was already very clear in the betas that the iphone 4 lagged hard.
    Nothing changed in the GM build.

6. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

OK, here's how it goes here:

8.0 Beta 1: Ridiculous to ask, it’s a first beta!
    8.0 Beta 2, 3, 4, 5...: Ridiculous to ask, it's a beta for developers to test their apps, are you a developer?
    8.0 GM: Ridiculous to ask, it’s GM *candidate*, no one says this version will be released to the public!
    8.0 Release: Ridiculous to ask, it has just been released, bugs will be fixed in 8.0.1!
    8.0.1: Ridiculous to ask, x.x.1 versions are just security updates, wait till 8.1!
    8.1: Ridiculous to ask, what do you expect from your ancient device, go buy a new one!

This seems to be the repeating comment pattern with every new version ;)

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

It's glitchy on everything, it becomes unresponsive and apps load more slowly initially on A5. It doesn't really run well on anything yet, we'll see later on.

8. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I haven't seen this much awesome in in one post here in a long time, lol.

Also curious how the iPad Mini 1st gen seems to be handling memory intensive apps and multitasking.

9. felixen macrumors 6502a

How about now with beta 4, does it run decently on iPad mini 1st gen?

10. ZAPELECTRIFIED macrumors member

It's decent for it's current beta 4 phase. It isn't running as fast as iOS 7.1.2
    OF COURSE we will never know what normal is for a beta and even more so for the actual iOS 8 update like "east85" said.
    If you want my opinion based on a simple 1-10 rating (10 being the highest compared to iOS 7.1.2 [best potential in my opinion])

I'd give the iPad Mini (First Gen.) with iOS 8 Beta 4

- 7.5/10

It runs fairly well but still the minor bugs throughout iOS, doesn't crash or respring much at all really compared to iOS 8 Beta 1,2, & 3. It has pretty good battery life for a Beta, for me at least.

Hope this helped.:D

11. NJFP macrumors 6502

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!!

12. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I think most of us are concerned about speed. Does it run like an iPhone 4 runs iOS 7? We couldn't care less about bugs. It's a beta.

Thank you for providing a real answer unlike the rest of the responses.

13. ZAPELECTRIFIED macrumors member

In the current beta 4 yes, it runs slower (like the iPhone 4 on iOS 7) sadly. Hopefully it will be faster in the beta 5 and most importantly the GM. It is useable for daily use but you will see a decrease in speed compared to iOS 7.1.2

14. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

That's kind of ridiculous that the device is crippled with iOS 8 when you can still buy them new on Apple's website. O well. iOS 7 is just fine.

15. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

It suns pretty well on mine, although i think i'll opt for iOS 7 instead of updating to iOS 8, as it's a bit laggy, but i'll wait for GM before making my decision.

16. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

It probably won't run half as well as it does on an iPad mini w/ retina display.

I am running it on my 5 to test out software and it runs so well that I've kept it as my daily driver too.

17. ZAPELECTRIFIED macrumors member

Yeah, you make a good point. I think iOS 8 will be the last Major iOS update for the iPad Mini (First Gen.)
    I still don't understand why Apple didn't put the A6 chip in the iPad Mini, it came out about two months after the iPhone 5 was announced, it would've been a lot quicker of an iPad.

----------

Anyone know how well it's running on an iPad Mini W/ Retina Display?