how well does the rMBP body hold up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kofman13, Apr 12, 2017.

1. kofman13 macrumors member

Hey all,

Proud owner of of a 2015 rMBP 13 inch as of yesterday, my first new mac since 2006. and i am LOVING IT. I am handling this beautiful aluminum body with kid gloves. Everytime i put it on my desk or pick it up or if it rubs against any hard surface it just makes a metal scraping sound (when the angle isnt just right for the rubber feet). it's not even an issue really at this point besides just making me cringe a little out of fear after having plastic laptops for years.
    It feels the same as the body of my previous iPhone 6 and my original iphone, both of which got so easily scratched and nicked from general use after some time, which is why I got a dbrand type clear skin for my iphone 7 right away.
    From your experience, how does the aluminum body of recent macbooks hold up throughout the years in terms of the metal wearing out, nicks, and scratches? should I invest in a Dbrand full body skin ASAP? or will it be fine? I dont plan on dropping it anytime soon. just regular use of picking it up and down off surfaces etc.

are there super thin hard clip on body cases for the MBP out there that are good? kind of scared of doing the dbrand thing over such a large surface compared to a phone, room for error on a $40 piece of vinyl. although I had hard plastic shell cases scratch my iphone before...

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It'll pick up scratches and the odd ding I expect over time, that's what happens when you use something.

You can get all sorts of skins and covers etc (there are 1000's of them on amazon.) but just be aware anything abrasive (sand and grit for example) that gets between the computer and the skin will probably cause more damage than having no protection.

My 2013 rMBP is still looking pretty good after 3 years a few minor scratches and an almost imperceptible ding tahts it so they hold up pretty well.

3. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

yes exactly, those hard cases trap dust and other garbage between case and device and scratch, which is what happened with my phone, will look into a skin. thanks!

4. generationfourth macrumors newbie

generationfourth

You don't need any protection aside from a good sleeve/bag for travel. The aluminum is incredibly resilient to scratches, and aging. My 2011 looks as good as the day I took it out of the box. Same with all my friends pre 2011 unibody MacBooks.

Just don't drop it, or run into anything. I close the lid when moving from spot to spot in my home or office.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Some people who like the look of the computer but have concerns about the bottom scratching have put a skin only on the bottom case. 3M's di noc is arguably the best material for this type of product. It looks real (even the carbon fiber finishes), is extremely resistant to tearing, maintains its adhesion over extended periods of temp cycles, and removes cleanly after many years even after being exposed to constant hot-cold cycles - without damaging anodized, power coated, or painted finishes. While generally priced a good bit higher than some of the cheaper materials, it provides protection from scratching that most other skin materials would fail to prevent (for example, running a sharp screw over the material with a considerable amount of pressure applied.)

While many vendors sell pre-cut pieces for the MBP, here are most of the available finishes.