How well does Touch ID work for you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Woodcrest64, Dec 18, 2015.

?

How well does Touch ID work for you?

1. Most of the time

82 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. Some of the time

12 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Rarely works for me.

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. I don't use it.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Every single time. Never had a fail. Ever.

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Woodcrest64, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Just wondering how well Touch ID works for people. For me, its works most of the time. I've found though with my Otterbox defender Case its a little bit more finicky in terms of its success rate. My wife on the other hand has a hard time with it. We've tried doing multiple scans of her finger but for some reason her Touch ID isn't as successful with her fingers compared to mine.

EDIT: Added a new option upon request.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do not use it. Has not worked well for me and I gave it up.

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

6. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Didn't work well for me on my 5s (which frustrated the heck out of me), but I was working more with my hands then and always figured that could have played a major role in the problem. Works great on my 6, and I've tried it on my wife's 6s and I barely have to glance at the home button and it unlocks!

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I also had a lot of issues with it on my 5s and finally turned it off. Got a 6s plus about two weeks ago and it is much better, but still far from perfect. I also use an Otterbox Defender case sometimes (hiking around the woods, etc) and that does make it more challenging. I think one of the problems that the button is recessed in the case, making it harder to press your finger flat against the sensor. I don't think I've ever had it work properly with my thumb in the Otterbox, but my index finger works pretty well.

I saw a suggestion to add your most freqently used fingers to Touch ID more than once. Tried this, entering my right thumb and index fingers twice. That seemed to help. Mostly I use my right index finger because it seems to be the most reliable. But there are times when it just doesn't work, like if I took a shower or washed the dishes within the past 5 or 10 minutes for example.

8. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Works super well, 98% of the time, i would say on my 6S

9. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

5s, 6 & 6s it has worked great, on the 6s it is noticeably quicker. Only time I have ever had issues is when my finger was damp/wet ex. working out, washing hands or shower.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

100% without fail. you can tell the difference when you use the 6S plus then use the ipad touch ID

11. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Mine was instant and 100% until 9.2. Now it's still good but 30-40% of the time there's a slight delay.

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

All the time. I have a 6+ and a 6S+. Never fails on either one but the 6S+ is too fast sometimes.

13. Berthacrowley macrumors member

Berthacrowley

It only worked for me on the first try about 50% of the time on my 6s+, the rest of the time it kept asking me to try again until it finally gave up and asked for the passcode. It was more trouble than it was worth so I turned it off. I saw a tip in another thread to try picking just one or two fingers for unlocking and scan those particular fingertips into the TouchID database multiple times for increased accuracy but I haven't tried it yet.

14. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I still haven't got quite used to that on mine either. On my 5s, with touch turned off, I was in the habit of periodically tapping the home button just to see what alerts had popped up. When I do that on the 6s+ with touch enabled, the phone instantly unlocks and any alerts I got from apps vanish before I can read them. :p

15. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I enjoy the feeling of my devices being clean, so I tend to wash my hands just before using them. Even a residual amount of moisture seems to interfere with Touch ID – that's been my main hurdle.

16. Pspressart macrumors regular

I just use a finger that is not a touch ID finger.

17. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I guess Im a bit picky when I press the home buttom with a non touch ID finger, and I see that try again shake on the screen.

Im fine with Touch ID for the most part. Once or twice a week, I wont get a response from it, so I would press the power button twice to turn the screen off and on again, then the Touch ID would work. That is what I usually do anyways; I would touch the power button to turn the screen on, then unlock it with Touch ID. The sensitivity is way too quick when I straight press the home button with a touch id finger.

18. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Agreed. It works flawlessly for me.

19. m3lover1 macrumors newbie

Perfectly for me. Sometimes I think it's too fast too

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

^This. Back after it first came out I had trouble with my finger tips so just started using the padding instead, once I did that it's been dead on. On the 6S Plus it's so fast that if I want to see my lock screen without accidentally logging in I have to use an unregistered finger or hit the side button.

21. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Very rarely does it miss for me. And if it has missed, it nails it second try.

22. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Same. Too fast and too accurate.

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Another "all the time" vote here - never had a single problem with it

24. tsang2320 macrumors regular

"All the time" here. works nicely on 5s and 6. great on 6s.