How Well Does Windows 7 or XP Run in Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Melodeath, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

So I've been a Windows XP user for years, but my desktop died this past weekend. I've been wanting to get a Macbook Pro for half a year, but I was waiting for Apple to update their Pro line before I did. However, now that my main computer is dead, and my local Apple hub at school is basically liquidating, I can get a current Macbook Pro for cheap.

Here's the issue: I HAVE to have Windows on my Mac, and I need it to run well. The reason I'm in dire need of a computer is I have an audio project I have to finish and turn in in a couple of weeks, and all my projects have been made in Sonar, which is PC-only. So, if I get a MBP, I need to have a Windows partition, and finish my projects using Sonar in Windows.

So, the question is, how well does Windows 7 or XP run on a MBP? Is it stable, and without latency? I need it to be able to run just like a PC, not an imitation.

Thanks for the help

2. natewsmith macrumors regular

Go and get a MBP. Even running VMWare Fusion I've not had any problems with running Windows XP or Windows 7.

Under boot camp, it runs exactly like it would on a pc. there is no difference. You will have all your drivers and what not on the install DVD for Boot camp so you can use all your apple stuff while in Windows. I also like the fact that when you use Fusion and you have Bootcamp, if you are in OS X you can access all your files and copy stuff over as well.

3. nobackup macrumors member

nobackup

i second the above, however 1 issue that I have come across I use it as follows

1) parallels using the Boot Camp partion (saving space) no issues
    2) Pure Bootcamp but with macDrive added so that I can access the Mac Partion.

Doing both of these with XP no issues on my MBP 2009 except the fans run higher when in BootCamp mode.

If I do this again then with win 7, under parallels 0 issues, when under boot-camp the fans run higher and HOTTER, tried under clocking/volting but have no found a solution..

Most of the time I am just using it for thoes things that are not available under OSX, going into Bootcamp is only for gaming

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've run win7 on a bootcamp partition and also under vmware and in both instances it works well. I prefer vmware fusion for my virtualization software, its a more stable product then parallels.

Depending on your needs virtualization may be sufficient. If you play games or need direct access to the hardware, then yeah bootcamp is the way to go, but performance wise, vmware is very good for most needs.