How well is your "Push" mail working?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brian4610, Aug 13, 2008.

1. brian4610 macrumors regular

I've got a yahoo account and have it set up for push and all that, however, i'm not getting messages in real time, and sometimes, not getting a notification at all.

I know some have had an issue where they have mail in their inbox, with no alert, but my alerts and my inbox have been very inconsistent. I'm getting most of the alerts (the 'ding'), but few of the email's come in real time.

i've read this forum and some have said that push will kick in on some apps (see AIM), is this when push will work for everything? and what is the source of that info?

thanks!

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I've had it be somewhat sporadic with my sbcglobal/Yahoo account. I have it set to push and it works maybe 80-90% of the time. Sometimes, though, it won't get a message until I actually look at my inbox, which forces a fetch.

I have had it chime a new message right after I launched Safari, so I'm thinking the data connection wasn't live until Safari kicked it on. Once it was connected to a data connection, the email got delivered. That's just a theory, though, and may not be how it really works.

3. jobsfnby macrumors regular

my first gen iphone hasn't had any problems with push...maybe try deleting the email then rentering it???

4. brian4610 thread starter macrumors regular

From what I understand, push doesn't contact the server, only "fetch" uses data or checks the sever...correct me if I'm wrong , but push is just that, pushed from your inbox to your phone ..

Either way, I'm not getting my email alerts...

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Mine used to work but lately it's awful

Mine used to push to the phone VERY well. In fact, when I had Trillian running on my computer, my iphone would get the email before Trillian told me I had a new message, and Trillian usually only takes about 5-10 seconds from the time the email hits your box to notify you.

Now it just doesn't push at all, it only seems to get it when I manually fetch, so I turned "Fetch every 15 minutes if my provider does not support push" on, just in case.

Who knows why it's not working, maybe Yahoo is having issues with it?

I'll see if I can log a support case at Yahoo.

6. circusbass macrumors regular

The push is awful. When an email gets sent to me from another iPhone it takes at least 10-15 minutes to receive it. When I send an email to myself from a computer it comes up immediately. The results are very spotty and I hope its one of the things that get better over time.