How well will my 2015 13" Macbook Pro with Retina run windows games?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

And is it true that running windows on your Mac lessens the life on your mac? And is it difficult to learn how to run windows on a mac?

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

1. You can run windows games only on windows. Not on OS X (like yosemite).

2. Your games that can run on both windows and OS X will probably run slightly better in windows rather than OS X, but I doubt by much.

3. No, you can run windows just fine on your macbook and it will not lessen the life of your mac. Your battery life may go down though (meaning you might get 8-9 hours of battery life on OS X and you might get 6-7 hours on Windows, but I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate)

4. No. You can use Bootcamp to run windows very easily. You'll need a windows disc and a usb drive and the bootcamp assistant will walk you through everything else. Learning how to use windows itself may be tricky if you've never used it before though.

You can find the bootcamp assistant utility in Applications -> Utilities -> Boot camp Assistant.

3. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I also wanted to note that you have to buy a license for Windows to be able to install it, and Boot Camp only has support for Windows 8 now. (you can still install 7 manually tho...)

--rob

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So a game that was released for windows but not mac will not run?

5. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

It will run if you install windows on your mac using the boot camp assistant utility.

It will not run on OS X.

6. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

You might experience shorter battery life. But that won't matter anyway, as your battery, while gaming, will drain faster than you can say "oh, this is REALLY not a gaming machine" four times in a row.

IMHO: don't ever get a notebook without a discrete graphics chip for gaming. And don't ever get a MacBook primarily for gaming at all.

tl;dr You will not be happy.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Depending on what type of games, your mileage will vary.

For stuff like WoW, LoL or Dota, it'll work fine. But for FPS games and also racing games, plus flying, no. You'll need a 15" rMBP with a discrete GPU for that.

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

It will not run in OS X - you would have to install Windows on the MAC using either BootCamp (preferred) or an app like Parallels (not recommended).