How well will the 13" MBP hold its value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apollo21, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Apollo21 macrumors member

Apollo21

So the 13" MBP retails for $1200. With an education discount and selling the ipod touch for ~$200, that brings it to $900. I know Macs hold their value pretty well, but can anyone make a guesstimate as to the resale value in a year, with and without Applecare?

Background: I have this great idea to use the 0% financing for a year with the credit card to charge the MBP, and then I'll learn Mac/iPhone programming, get a job, and pay for the computer... in a year :). I know it sounds like an awful plan, but if the resale value is $800 or something, then there's always that escape route and essentially I got to use a MBP for a year for $100!

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

uh its really hard to tell what it'll be at this point in the game, but mac's do hold their value pretty well

i'd say if you were to sell it before the wdcc next year (just incase their is another refresh then, after an expected refresh in december ish this year) you will be at the better end of things and probably still be able to get a good $$$ for your laptop, but i'd recommend picking up AppleCare, especially if you plan on reselling

you can get em pretty cheap on ebay, bought mine for $110 :) now i'm covered for 3 years, great peace of mind and fully transferable if I want to sell

But it all really depends on what apple has in the pipeline, who knows really

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The best laid plans of mice and men...

My advice, if you can't afford it, wait till you can
    Schemes always seem to backfire and bite you in the *ss

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

With the new MacBook Pro, you're going to have to see. I know relatively speaking, the uMB's value have been shot with the addition of FireWire and SD Card slot along with the price drop. For the most part, those who are interested in buying the uMB will most likely be users who want the removable battery or who are looking for a MacBook at a low price the rest will probably look towards the MacBook Pro. As for the 13" MacBook Pro, you will need to look at WWDC next year.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Using Mac2Sell.net, I found the values of the original, base model with the smallest screen of PowerBook G3 and G4, iBook G3 and G4, MacBook, and classic MacBook Pro.

Then compared the original price to the value. After some number crunching, I found that that those laptops depreciated at an overall average of 15.24% a year.

Apply the 15.24% per year to your computer. Remember, this is for laptops, not desktops.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Wow ... just under 16% per year.

That's good, real good.

I can tell you this, my son sold a really messed up Macbook. I mean it worked but that is all you could say good about it. It was the white plastic variant. It was over a year old and he got $500 for it. About 50%, but man was it rough looking .... like he dragged it behind him on a leash down the street.

EXAMPLE: One of his 'buddies' wrote on the top of it with a marker. He used acetone to clean if off,just smeared the writing and made a mess of the top case. You could say it wiped the shine off the apple!

7. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

When purchasing electronics, it would be prudent to not spend money that you do not have.

8. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

A computer, toaster or the George Foreman Grill are all things you buy to use and not as an investment.

;)

Having said that, I know that MBP's hold their value for longer than any other laptop.

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Forget 15.24%. I added the CD and C2D variants as separate models and now the overall average depreciation rate is 20.73% per year for laptops. The lowest per year was the PowerBook G3, at 8.93% per year.

For desktops using PowerMac G3-G5, iMac G3-G5, Mac mini G4-C2D, and first-gen Mac Pro, each the base model, the overall average depreciation rate is 18.63% per year. The iMac G3 came in at the lowest with 8.74% per year.

Computers can be used as an investment, if you're smart about it. Like the iMac G3. It was a trendy, new, and interesting design that nobody had ever seen before. I bet it will be worth its original price within 10 years.

10. Apollo21 thread starter macrumors member

Apollo21

Higgs1: Is buying AppleCare on ebay legitimate? I think I read somewhere that it's not recommended.

Shake 'n' Bake: Thanks for your work! 15% is pretty awesome considering it's 25% off when I buy it.

harcosparky: Thanks for the story :)

Everyone: Do you think AppleCare would be a sticking point for resale? That's another $250.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

AppleCare on eBay has become a hit and miss proposition

And yes, there are some who consider it important on a used machine they buy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The depreciation got bumped to 20.73% per year. Read my last post for details.

And AppleCare will add at least $200 to any Mac sale. Buying on eBay can save a truck load of cash, but buy from a reputable seller.

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Having Apple Care makes it easier to sell a used Apple Computer.

This may be part of the reason they hold their value.

People would more likely pay more for a computer with warranty on it, then one that does not.

I know in the past when I bought used, it had to have Apple Care -OR- be less than one year old and eligible for Apple Care.

14. zsnow macrumors regular

I don't care. We should focus on what did you do on this amazing book right now.