cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
I was under the impression that some apps on iPhone 5 wouldn't work, because they constantly come up with newer version of Apps that are heavier and require the latest iOS to run, and eventually the a compatible app wouldn't be available for download anymore because the only downloadable app would say "your iOS is incompatible with this app. Please upgrade" but then iPhone 5 not be able to upgrade to that iOS or even if it can it might cause heating issues or become slow.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I’ve just upgraded my mother in laws 5C (same processor as 5) to an SE.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone getting a 5 now, they’re so slow to navigate iOS it’s unbearable.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
But then, SE has heating and so does 5s. Is there a way to use use 5 in an iOS that it's fast on and also be able to download the older versions of the apps on the app store so that it would be compatible with iOS that 5 operates the best on?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But then, SE has heating and so does 5s. Is there a way to use use 5 in an iOS that it's fast on and also be able to download the older versions of the apps on the app store so that it would be compatible with iOS that 5 operates the best on?
If those versions are offered by the App Store when you try to download them, then you can.

Still not getting this whole "heating" thing. Is this some sort of significant widespread issue somehow?

Reactions: KONVICTED

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Every iPhone is going to warm up with use so if you think escaping to the iPhone 5 will be different, you are in for a disappointment.
[doublepost=1511986149][/doublepost]
If those versions are offered by the App Store when you try to download them, then you can.

Still not getting this whole "heating" thing. Is this some sort of significant widespread issue somehow?

Check to OP's previous "started threads"

Reactions: sdwaltz

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Every iPhone is going to warm up with use so if you think escaping to the iPhone 5 will be different, you are in for a disappointment.

I've seen those which is part of what prompted the question given that there seems to be some fixation on something that doesn't really appear to be an issue.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPhone 5 (A6) supports iOS 10.3.3. It may not get app updates in future but I've yet to actually encounter apps that require iOS 11. We have an iPhone 5c that we use with local SIM when travelling overseas and I find performance on iOS 10 to be pretty decent. Bonus, the iPhone 5 won't be receiving further iOS updates so no further iOS bloat/slowdown.

I actually have an iPad 4 that I kept on iOS 6 and I'm able to install the last compatible version of Netflix, YouTube, etc.

That said, with how inexpensive the iPhone SE is, that one's kind of a no-brainer if purchasing a new device and one prefers a smaller form factor.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
As another member already mentioned, the iPhone SE would be the most logical choice, which can be purchased for as little as $150 in some areas. It has similar internals as the iPhone 6s, stronger battery and is significantly faster.

Reactions: KONVICTED

sdwaltz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana

You with the heat complaints again?!

And no.

You’re just going to have to “deal” (and I use that term so unbelievably loosely) with a phone that generates a little heat.

It ain’t that deep.

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Never experienced heating issue on my iPhone. it gets a little warmer when connected to charger,wifi or sometimes playing games otherwise it's normal in day to day use.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015

I have used 5 before and it didn't heat up to the point of discomfort.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
The iPhone 5 (A6) supports iOS 10.3.3. It may not get app updates in future but I've yet to actually encounter apps that require iOS 11. We have an iPhone 5c that we use with local SIM when travelling overseas and I find performance on iOS 10 to be pretty decent. Bonus, the iPhone 5 won't be receiving further iOS updates so no further iOS bloat/slowdown.

I actually have an iPad 4 that I kept on iOS 6 and I'm able to install the last compatible version of Netflix, YouTube, etc.

That said, with how inexpensive the iPhone SE is, that one's kind of a no-brainer if purchasing a new device and one prefers a smaller form factor.

I thought SE costs $349 or $449. iPhone 5 can be bought for $100-150

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have used 5 before and it didn't heat up to the point of discomfort.

You are making a horrible trade off to avoid warmth. Go ahead but you will be disappointed with the performance and availability of decent apps. Your $100 iPhone will be a huge disappointment.

I used a 5 also and it was ok back in those times but not today. If you like Safari and videos I doubt the 5 will even play them smoothly.

Every iPhone will heat up if doing any kind of intensive CPU work.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdwaltz

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
"If you like Safari and videos I doubt the 5 will even play them smoothly." I don't remember Safari or videos being slow, back then when I used it. If it doesn't these days, would that be because of the updated iOS slowing things down?

I noticed years ago that my 4 slowed down right after its first update. Did something like that happen to the 5 with any of its iOS updates?

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Had an iPhone 5s as a temporary replacement for my broken iPhone and was quite surprised about performance. No issues.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If it's prepaid do you have to pay some kind of amount per month as long as you have a SIM card in it?
Locked to AT&T and needs 6 months continuous service before it can be unlocked but otherwise, you don't actually need to keep service active on the device.

I'm on AT&T postpaid though so the SIM-lock isn't an issue. Just swapping in the postpaid SIM works fine.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
So you can pay nothing for 6 months and then unlock it? Can it be country unlocked too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.