How well would Team Fortress 2 run on a 2.4GHz Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sonia1234321, Aug 11, 2008.

1. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Well, the question is basically in the title :)

It would be a 2.4GHz Macbook (not Pro) with 4 gigs o' ram.

Edit - Sorry for the double post, my internet isn't stable here!

2. AliClifton macrumors member

unfortuantly probably not very well. You have adequate ram and cpu but unfortuantly macbooks use intels gma shared gpus instead of a dedicated graphics card, so graphics will probably lag unless on really low settings

3. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm not really looking for high graphics, so how well would it run on maybe low-decent graphic settings?

4. AliClifton macrumors member

Im surprised by that completely, i thought the built in Intel GMA chipsets were utter rubbish for gaming, especially for sumthing as frantic as team fortress. I assumed that the op meant gaming through bootcamp, if your gaming flawlessly through crossover then you must have loads of ram aswell.
    I guess i stand corrected, assuming you provide the video and screen shot, however its this statement from Crossover about there products that leaves me with reservations "Some low end Mac systems with built in Video chip sets may not be able to play high performance first person games at full frame rates."

5. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

You should definitely look it up on youtube, some people posted videos of CS source which is basically the same as TF2 maybe less intense graphic-wise. Anyways just my 2 cents

6. sonia1234321 thread starter macrumors regular

7. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

well that looks pretty decent for integrated graphics!! You would probably get a better in-game play if you upgraded to 4GB of Ram.

8. danimal99 macrumors regular

Shoot, dood, don't take that down. That video alone could help some people decide to go ahead and buy a MacBook. I'm very on the fence about making a gradual switch from Windows to a Mac, and one of my main sticking points is the one game that I play, which is TF2. It was very enlightening seeing it running pretty much ok on a plain MB.

Thanks

9. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

would a game like that run on a 2.1 ghz with 4 gigs of ram? is there a big diference in the 2.1and 2.4

10. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

I dont think you would notice the difference as games are mostly RAM and Graphic(GPU) intensive.

11. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

cool thanks also if i do decide to upgrade my ram from a cheaper company, where should i get it from? i heard of a site that sells 4 gigs 4 $80 is this true? if it is does this ram work for macbooks?