how/when do you name the window partition?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MikeSantor, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

So as some may remember a few days ago i got a 500GB HD (which I had a crap load of problems with...) But when I got everything on it I went to put the Windows partition on it. Went through boot camp and from my recollection there was no point where it asked me what I wanted to name the partition. So when it was all done on my desktop was the icon for windows named "untitled". I may be a Little ADD but that annoyed the crap out of me. Now I put windows on it at 5am after messing my the hard drive for about 12 hours straight so there is a change im just stupid and missed the part to rename the partition. At what part do you change the name of it? Im going to try and put windows on one more time but I want to get it right this time. Thanks in advance guys.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if your partition is formatted as FAT32 you can rename it in OS X as it has write support. if its formatted as NTFS (better suited) you can name it in Windows by renaming "Local Disk C:".

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I've just left mine as "Untitled."

In the OS X environment the icon just chills under my "Macintosh HD," and in windows it's C:/ so the name doesn't matter.

edit: richthomas finished my reply for me...lol

4. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

It was partitioned as NTFS.

My Fiancee tried convincing me to just leave it but I couldn't. Like I said, im ridiculously anal about my desktop. its weird. the rest of my life is a mess but my desktop has to be tidy.

Rich, So you just put XP on as normal then rename C once your your booted in XP, correct?

Thanks a bunch guys. After being a pc user for 12 years not knowing how to do anything involving in OS X is frustrating. Im pretty sure I came close to overloading google servers the past week with stupid mac questions...

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Hey, at least you have the judgment to overload Google's servers instead of our forum's first page unlike some people around here!! :):)

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

correct just rename "Local Disk" to anything you want. tip: put a period at the start of the name to hide it in OS X e.g. ".Windows".

haha youll get used to it. youll find OS X very natural after a while.