How wide is the iMac at it's widest point?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leadfeather89, Oct 24, 2012.

?

How thick at widest point?

1. .5 inches - 1 inch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 inch - 1.5 inches

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1.5 - 2 inches

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. 2+ inches

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. leadfeather89 macrumors member

When looking top down on the imac, you see something that would be shaped like...

[​IMG]

...something like that.

how thick do you guys think it gets at this point? the teal line? at it's widest point?

[​IMG]

2. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

It's thicker than 1.5 inches, that's for sure. I'd estimate between 2 and 2.5. You can deduct this simply by looking at the iMac pictures on the apple site.

3. leadfeather89 thread starter macrumors member

Just the monitor it's self, excluding the stand.

I have bad spacial awareness.

4. i12drift macrumors newbie

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I would do it but I don't have the computer skills to do so, but I had the same question. Since people were doing renders of the boxes for the new iMac, someone should do a render of the iMac it's self, and figure it out!

I bet you can't even tell how wide it is unless you look at it directly from the side. I couldn't tell during the keynote from the angles they were showing them from on the big screen.

5. Dobly macrumors newbie

6. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

It has to be ~3" imo.
    They are still using HDDs in there, and they would be standard laptop 2.5" drives I assume. Add a some space either side of it (back of the case, screen, etc.) and you get 3"

7. flatfoot macrumors 65816

They are standard desktop 3.5" drives (as in every iMac since its introduction in 1998), and those 2.5" and 3.5" refer to the width of the drives while the height is the key factor here.

There's no way the new iMac is 3" thick. Even the previous model is thinner than that.

My guess is around 2.5".

8. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Looking at the tech specs of the new iMac it can be deduced that the 21.5" iMac comes with a 2.5" HDD while the 27" comes with a 3.5" HDD. (1TB vs. 3TB, 5400rpm vs. 7200rpm)

9. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Don't you mean deep (depth)? Width is side to side, not front to back.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to be anal.

But Apple states it's 40 percent less volume and if you look at the "evolution of iMac" picture, it definitely looks to have less depth than any previous incarnation.