How widespread is the MacBook Case Cracks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeXTLoop, Nov 8, 2007.

1. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I currently have a 2.4Ghz Santa Rosa MBP that I'm considering selling to get one of the new MacBooks. My concern though is in regard to the case cracking on the MacBooks. How widespread is this? Is it restricted to earlier models? Or are the more recent models also experiencing this?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Just anecdotally: 6 Macbooks in my family, 1 has a cracked case...

3. NeXTLoop thread starter macrumors member

NeXTLoop

What generation is the cracked one? How long have you had it compared to the others?

4. Fatty McGeek macrumors newbie

New macbook owner here. Just got mine yesterday, no sign of case cracking what so ever. In fact, it's absolutely gorgeous! :D Build quality is top-notch. Don't know if I am just lucky or what though ...

Just curious, why would you want to change a 2.4 mbp for a macbook? I would have gone for the mbp myself if not for the price constraint.

5. AppleNinja macrumors member

AppleNinja

haha yea i was wondering that to lol

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Smaller, lighter, longer battery, prefer the keyboard...

7. NeXTLoop thread starter macrumors member

NeXTLoop

A couple of reasons:

1. I've never been a huge fan of the aluminum compared to the iBook/MacBook plastic.

2. Size

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my one is a bit cracked in the corner. But that might be because I dropped it... :eek:

they are built like little tanks. I love mine.

9. Fatty McGeek macrumors newbie

yeah ... that would do it. hehe :p

10. NeXTLoop thread starter macrumors member

NeXTLoop

Well.... based on some polls and topics I had seen here, at MacNN, and on the Apple Discussion Boards, it seemed like the problem was fairly common...

...Maybe not so much...

11. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

The Macbook Top Case Cracking™ issue is well documented; a bit of searching will reveal a treasure of info.

Take it in, get the tope case replaced, end of story.

12. NeXTLoop thread starter macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I know its well documented. My question is whether there is a "tipping point" where certain builds of the MacBooks no longer have the problem. Perhaps a change in the plastic used in construction, less powerful magnets used to close the lid, etc.

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

My wife has a black macbook and doesn't have the cracking. Also we use Macbooks at work and no report of cracking, and we abuse them.

14. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

for the record, aluminum is def a more solid material for notebooks than plastic. IMO

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I believe its personal preference.

16. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

17. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

when was the last time that you heard of a mbp cracking issue?

18. kylep6190 macrumors member

Thats not your opinion, it's a fact. aluminum is stronger than plastic

19. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Sure. But the MacBook plastic is much thicker than the MBP aluminum.

You could also argue, however, that the MacBook plastic is more brittle than aluminum, and would crack in situations where the aluminum would just dent or warp.

20. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I have had my MacBook for a couple of months now....my step daughters room mate got the same model as mine about 2 weeks after i got mine....

I was in her apartment last week and he was on his MacBook.....i was shocked to see the state of it.....palm rests all discolored....crack in the case at the point where the raised bit of plastic on the right hand side of the screen bezel hits the palm rest.....

Mine on the other hand is in allmost perfect condition, with no dis colores palmrests and no cracking........

I just think the lad takes poor care of his computer...closing it too hard, and thus causing the cracking...hes even put a huge sticker on the rear of the lid.......i felt like slapping him !!!

21. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

Mine is perfect, my husband's is a work computer and he's pretty rough with it...ok REALLY rough with it and the only damage his has (white) is a very faint hairline crack above the hinge and its barely noticable, he's had his almost a year I think and I'm guessing is opening his screen past the point it should be but like I said, you can barely see it and its not getting worse.

22. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

oh and if you have a white one, you can clean the palm rest with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, his looks brand new after doing that.

23. oligore macrumors member

oligore

I get it from closing my screen. Even If I try and close it slowly the magnetic latch pulls it down making the bits that stick out on the screen crash into the palm rest. There are cracks on the palm rests and on the screen from this.

One guy I know has it so bad chips of plastic have come off around the edges of the palm rests.:eek:

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

25. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I don't have a macbook, but my friend had the problem, went to apple and got a case replacement w/in 2 hours (At the yorkdale-toronto store).