How widespread is this proximity sensor problem thing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Jul 13, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

With all the ranting and raving about the antenna and the so-called death grip and all that, the proximity sensor "issue" has taken a back seat, but I feel it's an issue that's much more pressing (yet probably an easier fix) than the antenna thing.

Is this widespread or do the cases seem isolated and maybe just faulty sensors or something?

I was all gung-ho about getting my first iPhone a few days ago, but between the proximity sensor stuff, and the antenna stuff, I'm waiting to see what Apple has to say about both issues.

2. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

It happened once to me.

It hasn't repeated (knock on wood).

3. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

i am on my fourth phone.....:mad:
    very very very frustrating is all i can say.....love the device but the phone part of it sucks.....

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

No problems here, maybe I'm just holding it right though ;)

5. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

i had the original and everyone since then.....it is definatley a design flaw with new phone.....there needs to be a software fix to make the sensor less sensitive....

6. caranddriver macrumors regular

It is definitely sensitive. I kept hitting keypad buttons, but now I know what's going on so I adjust.

7. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I felt exactly like you. Super excited and just wanted my phone to make things fun again. Well, I currently am awaiting for a replacement for the issue, and my friend who just received his last week on Thursday has the issue as well. It's truly annoying and I'm about 7 days from returning this phone and keeping my 3GS. It's an awesome phone but I have had to previously replace it for a NO SIM error and now I have the proximity and yellow photo issue.

I'm starting to feel like I will never have a good phone and also feel apple is going to wait until after the 30th day has passed to start rejecting replacement claims. I really love this phone but I can't keep waisting time, gas, and patience on a phone that is suppose to JUST WORK. Some people have perfectly functional phones and some people have jacked up phones and are too much of a fanboy to admit apple messed up badly. It's really hard to gauge what you'll get. :confused:

I suggest trying it out for a week when apple get's them in stock. If you have any type of issue during this batch of phones, then they are not taking the time to correct things and the multiple issues will continue on for some time. You can return it and get your full refund. If my phone isn't in stock by Tuesday of next week, then I'm really going to eat a bullet as ATT won't refund the restock fee :mad:. I hate to do it but the way they are handling this is just pure garbage.

8. RegalTruth macrumors newbie

See my FaceDial thread. Lol.

But seriously, if Apple doesn't fix this soon I may have to resort to tripping toddlers to display my rage. I'm not kidding, I'll do it. YOU WANT THOSE KNEE SCRATCHES ON YOUR HANDS APPLE!?!?

(Semi-Srs about tripping toddlers)

9. xmtgx macrumors regular

You mean more sensitive, though I have never had issues with it.

10. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

My first one had the problem. I took it to Apple and the guy was trying to tell me that he couldn't find anything nothing wrong. And he kept calling my voicemail and clearly wasn't on a phone call convo where the prox. Sensor wasn't used enough. But I pressed the issue and he told me he'd take my word for it and swapped it out.

Had my 2nd one for a few days, yesterday i had the same problem. I'm gonna give it a few more days. Fingers crossed!

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My wife and I each got one on launch day, and so far neither one of us have experienced a problem with the proximity sensor.

12. PUCCY macrumors regular

whats this proximity sensor **** everyone talking about? i dont know what it means.

13. ambermariex macrumors newbie

My iphone ends calls on like %50 of my phone calls. I dont make alot of calls, but today it did it twice while on a 6 minute(total) call with my mom. Dont really want to deal with it getting replaced, but sounds like a software update will not help at all. I guess I know what i'm doing on my day off.

14. lnferno macrumors 6502

I haven't experienced the reported proximity sensor problem. Ever since people started reporting it, I've paid closer attention and I still haven't seen any indication of that problem with my device.

15. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It turns off the screen when you put it up to your face to talk on the phone. It keeps you from hitting buttons while talking. For some people the sensor is not turning off the screen resulting in hangups, suddenly talking on speaker, beginning FaceTime calls, etc.

17. ttopp macrumors regular

I think it's an ios4 issue. I've had it on my iPhone 4 but a friend has it on her 3GS only after updating to ios4.

18. Andru1313 macrumors regular

Taking my phone in tomorrow to have it looked at. IDK Y guess it makes me feel better.

Can you see the PS on your phone? I can't find mine for the life of me. I could see it on the 3gs pretty easily.

19. lakergoon24 macrumors member

20. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

THe sensor above teh ear hole that is supposed to sense being near your face and turn teh screen off is malfunctioning. It is supposed to cut it off to save battery and keep you from hitting buttons when the phone touches your face, but it intermittently allows the screen to come on, which causes the problem.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

22. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yeah, you're ridiculous. You've replaced it three times because of the same issue?

It's either something they can fix in software (make the IR LED brighter?) or it's some problem with the new location and never will be fully "resolved."

23. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I can't say that I really have noticed it, however, I mostly use my phone for long conversations in the car, and that is over my Sync system. I mean, I only notice when things dont' work properly, and so far no issues, so I am good. :D