How will 2.4GHz MBP run Left 4 Dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SebZen, Apr 12, 2009.

1. SebZen macrumors 6502

I'm really breaking my head on which laptop to get. The main selling points MBP has for me over the MB are:

Better screen
    Larger screen
    9600GT

But the most important is the 9600GT. I don't play games much any more but still like them now and then, and the main game I play now is L4D. How would it run on this MBP?

Ahhh really going crazy now. Just found out it's only 256MB.. it's very little. Maybe not even worth it? The 512MB model costs much more and I can't afford it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting a Mac for gaming.. but just deciding whether to get a MBP or MB, and the decision on that mainly comes in terms of gaming performance. If MBP can't play games in acceptable performance (I come from a 3.8GHz Quad Core, 4870 1GB and 4GB RAM gaming computer I am now selling, so I'm spoiled, but not too spoiled) it's not worth the money for me

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I play L4D on the system below. Although it's more powerful than the 2.4Ghz and 256MB graphics, I don't think you will have any issues playing on reasonable settings. I have all mine set to maximum and it runs great.

3. mopperx2 macrumors newbie

i play on a 2.4ghz unibody at highest settings, game is surprisingly smooth, using vista 64bit with nvidia.com drivers

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

From what I've seen videos ram have little effect on games. The specs of the card itself is a lot more important. Some brenchmark I've seen showed very little gain for the (at the time) 2.53GHz UMBP. Get the baseline 2.4GHz.

By the way: I'm running Counter Strike: Source at 60FPS all the time with everything maxed except for AAx4 and another setting I can't remember.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I'm running on the system your looking at buying. I have everything on high out and I have no problems with L4D. The memory interface is only 128 bits regardless of 256 or 512 version. On an FPS the memory interface is more important than your total video memory.

The 256 9600GT will get the job done very nicely. I do recommend picking up 4GB of ram from Newegg.com for your MBP. 4GB of ram will do more for you on L4D than the difference between the two card options.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I played left 4 dead on my MacBook at native resolution and it was fine

7. Hydroxs macrumors regular

You might have to put the shader level to medium. Anything above that and it feels laggy.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I play it too on my mac no problems at all and thats with 8600 GT

9. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I heard that this is only the case if you use bootcamp drivers. Drivers directly from Nvidia run much better.

10. jiE macrumors regular

I play L4D on my 2.2 Ghz 8600gt 128mb ram MBP.. And it runs great. almost everything at max cept a few antialiasing and such.

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

It runs very well on my MacBook Pro, signature system below. I tried it in Codeweavers CrossOver, but it didn't work. Runs superbly in Boot Camp for me so it'll be even better with the new unibody MacBook Pros.

12. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to hear guys, good to hear!!

Makes me feel much better and more confident about the purchase *thumbsup*!

That pretty much sealed the deal right there for me then.

By the way, how many RAM slots does the MBP have? I think only 2, correct? That's a shame, that means I have to throw out (or sell, either way) the 2GB it comes with so I can put 2x2GB in

And what would you say about switching a hard drive to 7200RPM? Do any of you play L4D with the stock 5400RPM drive just fine? Over time I will switch to 7200RPM but hoping it can run fine without it for a bit

13. Hydroxs macrumors regular

I use the drivers from nvidia websites. I run l4d at 1440x900 with everything high but shaders at medium with AA off and average 40 fps. It will dip into high 20s during at actions.

14. mrowmrow macrumors newbie

I have a question:
    I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M Gt
    I just got the game, I am playing it regularly, not through Bootcamp, Parallels or any other platform, just start it up and go. The opening movie works great, once I start playing a one-player game it either lags/freezes and the audio skips or it starts fine but there's a white square in the middle of the screen the sometimes shows bits of the background image. I've been trying to tinker with the video settings, but I was wondering what settings you guys are playing it on...
    Any assistance?

Thanks! ;)

15. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Runs just fine for me (not as well as on my mac pro, but I am away form that for a couple days!) on the 8600.

16. mrowmrow macrumors newbie

Did you change the settings at all? I re-installed it and it's still kind of bizarre.

17. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Source engine runs great on Mac either way you put it, although it's starting to show some age...