How will Apple differentiate the iPad Air and iPad Pro in the future?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dulcimer, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

The thing that differentiates the iPad Air (including mini) and iPad Pro lines are the screen size, computational power, and additional accessories of the keyboard and Apple Pencil. But what happens next year? Will the entire line up get the Smart Connector and the Apple Pencil? I don't see why Apple wouldn't expand the accessories/tech to the iPad Air because sales are dropping and the iPad's a bit dull with potential upgrades.

In that case, one differentiator besides screen size might be that they'll gimp the Air lines with last year's processor. This would make sense to me since it doesn't seem like Apple's releasing any other A9-series iPad other than the Pro. So they might introduce updated Airs with the A9/X next year. If they don't gimp last year's model, than the alternative could be better processors for the Pro series, e.g., iPad Air 2016 gets A10 (AX?) while the Pro gets the A10X (AXX!) or something along those lines.

Another possibility is with software. Perhaps the Pro line will have more advanced features in the next iOS (sort of like the 6 Plus's landscape orientation views).

It's also possible that everything will be consistent between the two lines and the only differentiator is the screen size. This doesn't really make sense to me because why call it Pro? Why not just iPad Plus like the iPhone 6 Plus?

Would like to hear others' thoughts on this.

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Pretty simple IMO, the keyboard and Pencil will remain exclusive to the Pro because it's a Professional device. The Air will remain unchanged and the mini might even be dropped soon. If the mini isn't dropped, the touch will be though.

3. 007p macrumors 6502a

Keep accessories 'pro' only.

Next year;

iPad mini 5: A9
    iPad Air 3: A10
    iPad pro 2: A10X

4. mgarc1125 macrumors newbie

If Apple decides to permanently gimp the Air line with the previous year's processor I may never buy another iPad again.

5. newellj macrumors 601

Well, we could start with the basic screen size...

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Size is plenty. It's obvious to anyone who looks at them. iPads are now good old "small, medium or large?" for buyers.

Given the pricing and probable profit margins of the accessories, if they sell well, they'll almost certainly be replicated for use with other iPad sizes (and maybe even future iPhones and iPods too). This pro model doesn't need exclusivity on these optional accessories to be differentiated. It's the biggest iPad all on it's own. Anyone who wants the biggest-sized iPad will buy the pro (with or without accessories).

7. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

I think next year's iPads will be identical in terms of processing power.

iPad mini 5: A10X
    iPad Air 3: A10X
    iPad Pro 2: A10X

Difference? Pro features like pencil & keyboard. Perhaps speakers too. Maybe a resolution bump for Pro (or for all).