How will apple go forwards with iPhone lineup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samparmenter, Aug 9, 2017.

1. samparmenter, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

samparmenter macrumors 6502

So the currently accepted wisdom is that apple will release 3 models this september.

7S
    7S+
    iPhone "edition"

Most people seem to think that we will see the standard iPhone pricing maintained on the "S" models and a much higher price on the "edition".

With this in mind, how will apple set their lineup next year. They are breaking the 2 year redesign cycle mid stream but not completely.

Ultimately the "edition" is what apple will be using as a baseline for the next few years. The current iPhone 7 design is the same as the 6 so we have had it for 3 years and once the 7S is done it will have had a 4 years as the design (minus some very very minor tweaks).

This is where the problem is. Come next September they will have to make a decision. They will probably have a "edition +" model with a larger screen but then they will have the normal "edition" that they have sold for a lot of money just a year earlier. Part of the value of an apple device is its resale value. You buy a new one every year and you can sell last years for a decent sum.

If they do the above, that simply won't be possible. That $1200 device you bought last year will suddenly be competing with an updated version with better spec that can be bought new for $650 give or take. How much will people pay for that? $400 if you are lucky?

Their other two options look like:

1. Keep the price higher for the "edition" and keep the (what will be) 4 year old design going as an economy model at the current price. I don't think that apple customers will like the idea that they are buying the "latest" iphone when there is a much nicer/better phone that is released at the same time with the flagship feature set and they are essentially second class citizens. Apple have never really done this with any other product as far as I can see either. iPad has loads of models but thats more screen size. The actual functionality is almost identical. Apple Watch has a massive variance in price but ultimately its the same watch at its core.

2. Move the whole pricing structure up a few hundred for each model which in my view would be utterly suicidal. Most people are happy to pay a lot of money for their iphone (and it is a lot) but stick another few hundred on that and I think they would lose a lot of sales.

So, how do you think Apple are going to fix this mid cycle / premium iPhone issue? Personally I don't think its going to be nearly as expensive as some people are suggesting. If I was apple I would consider making the 7S cost less than it currently does and make the "edition" model perhaps $100 more than the current iPhone. Well either that or there will be no 7S models.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Again, I got to trust that Apple knows what it is doing. Most people who pay the $1200 for the "special" iPhone will not be thinking of resale value.

Only a very small percentage of iPhone users even read this forum or keep up with what Apple is introducing. It is us that is not normal

3. samparmenter thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that people will pay for the premium model but even the average buyer will firstly be annoyed if they can't get the best iphone for a reasonable price and secondly if they do fork out a lot for it they won't be happy if it tanks in value.

The average buyer won't like being told they can't have the best iPhone unless they spend massive amounts. As it stands, they would be told "pay a huge premium for a phone that is in line with flagship android devices or pay the normal premium price for an apple device and get a 3 year old design without most of the best things apple can offer in a phone".

4. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

IPhone 7 and 7 Plus phased out entirely and demoted to SE status next year.

We will be left with since Apple is getting Rid of numbers. The same way you don't say MacBook 5 or MacBook Pro 6.

It will simply be

5.8" size wil be IPhone Edition (to match Apple Watch Edition)
    6.3" size will be IPhone Pro. (to match MacBook Pro and iPad Pro rest of line) 2018 release

Side note the 6.3" size coincides with Samsungs new Note series size Apple buys the existing displays by the Millions so it has to be an existing size Samsung can crank out. They got the 5.8" size From the existing Note 5.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just relax and watch what will happens. People will buy these phones like no tomorrow.

I will leave the worry up to Apple who seems to have the marketing thing down very well.

My Apple stock is screaming!:p

6. samparmenter thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree thats where apple is going with its naming of products but how do you think they will handle the pricing of the devices this year vs next year. Every smart phone manufacturer has a fairly clear and logical pricing and release structure but I don't see how this is possible with the next 2 releases of the iPhone.

7. aakshey macrumors regular

aakshey

2018 Possibilties

Case 1:

iPhone SE 2 5.28” $650-750+ base
    iPhone 2018 5.8” $850-1000 base
    iPhone 2018 6.3” USD 1000+ base

And they can retain previous year models for sub USD 650 prices.

Case 2: (More likely)

iPhone 2018 5.8” $999 base
    iPhone 2018 6.3” $1199 base
    iPhone 8 5.5” $769 base
    iPhone 8 4.7” $649 base
    iPhone SE 2 $499 base or $399 base
    And they might discontinue all other older iPhones.