How will Apple Watch behave in this situation?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jshtroutman, Nov 24, 2016.

1. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

Hello Apple Watch users! So I have a unique situation at work and want to know how a watch will function. Let me explain. I work for a mining company that's very heavily focused on safety and cell phones are not allowed on your person at all. Anything that would cause distraction is a no no. I however can keep my phone in my office. I work in quality control and have a frequent use for a timer and Watch. Watches are allowed so I think I would be just fine with an Apple Watch for keeping time and timers. From what I have read this should work when not connected to my phone. I frequently am in and out of my office on a daily basis. Will the automatically connect to my phone when I'm in the office? Is it like any other Bluetooth device and manually have to be connected every time? I actually dont want it to connect while at work at all. I'm just curious?

2. iGeek2014 macrumors 68010

You'd be able to use the Timer function on an Apple Watch when you're away from your iPhone.

Once you're out of range you'd see an icon flash intermittently (red phone with slash through it) and when you're back within 10 metres or so it'd automatically connect to iPhone again.

As an example I visited a supermarket the other day and I'd left my iPhone behind at home. Despite not having a cellular connection I could still use Apple Pay.

3. Arkku macrumors newbie

Arkku

If you don't want it to connect automatically while you are at work, you can put the watch into airplane mode.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I often use the timer on the watch at the laundromat without my iPhone, which I leave at home.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Or turn off Bluetooth on your phone