How will apps work now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

So after watching the keynote I didn't really get a good grasp on how apps will work with (now) 4 different iPhone screen sizes. I am aware that if nothing is done to an existing app, the 6 and 6+ will scale the 4" version to fit on their screens, and 3.5" devices will continue to use apps specific to their screens. What I am more confused about is how apps will be going forward. Will developers be able to alter their apps for each of the screen sizes? So, for example an app on the 6 might have a UI that is slightly different than that on a 6+ and on a 5s. Or will the 6 and 6+ be bunched into the same category so that developers only need to develop one app that applies to both of the larger screens? I think this is a pretty important question to answer before purchasing one of these devices.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I doubt anybody is building apps for the 3.5" screens. All apps will be optimized for the 6 and 6+. It's just the way it works.

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Dynamic scaling. And yes, Phil Schiller discussed it.

4. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

So the 5s, 6, and 6+ will always use the same app just scaled?

5. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yes, for now. (This is similar to what Android does.)

However, a new api in iOS 8 allows developers to create new layouts for the larger 6 and 6+. Phil demonstrated the CNN app as an example. So you can bet your bottom dollar that developers are hard at work making their apps ready for the new iPhones! The 6+ will likely have some very cool apps that are unique to it, when put in Landscape mode.

6. menist macrumors regular

menist

Hopefully developers take advantage of the hardware and make their software to match both resolution, and not rely on the software scaling feature.

7. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

No. Just like Apple is doing with their own apps, developers can definitely create interfaces appropriate for each device to take advantage of the larger screen. Apple has been heavily promoting the use of developers tools to make this easier, such as auto layout and size classes, especially at this year's WWDC.